B12 and Iron problems

sldoty
on 3/16/07 12:32 am - Abilene, TX
I have rocked along great now for 2 1/2 years, lost my 100 lbs and am holding where I want to be, but then I started getting tired and do I mean TIRED. Turns out I am low on B12 and Iron! I have started the B12 injections last week and that has really helped. What I want to know is how others have managed these things. Do you take weekly injections? And how about the Iron? I have started supplements but I worry about the absorption issue. My doc (family) does not want to to the iron shots. I have upped my intake of iron rich foods but that causes the same question to come up. So anyway, What do you do for these? I have not posted in ages but I still read from time to time and like to keep up with the names I have come to know. Hope you are all doing well-------- Sharon
Lynn J
on 3/29/07 9:33 am - LA
Sharon, I take sublingual B-12 and so far my levels are great. I try to keep my B-12 above 1000. You need to get copies of all your blood work. I have mine in an Excel speadsheet. Then I can watch the trends. If it is still in normal range but dropping, I up my dose. My ferritin is low so I take iron. I take Tender Iron by vitalady.com. They are tablets but I chew them and they taste good. It is very important to watch your ferritin levels as this is your iron stores. I try to keep mine above 50 and closer to 100. My last ferritin test said my level was 35 so I increased my Tender Iron. I read that we should not take ferrous sulfate as it can irritate the pouch. Tender Iron is carbonyl iron. Good luck! Lynn J., lap RNY 9/29/04
SUPERMANs_Wife
on 7/14/07 2:02 am - U S M C Picks my home..., NC
i am on monthly injections for B-12. They tried to take me off them but i ended up out of commision, poor hubby was in shock bc i forgot to tell him that they were testing to see if i still needed them. after 2 months he took me to the doc and said she needs the shot now. she is useless, and she is always cranky... he had to do the talking b****pt dozin off...LOL they ran a blood test and ohhh yeah my b-12 was REALLY low. Also i am taking prenatals with iron. NO i am not pregnant but i need the iron that is in them plus i was told to use those as my multivitamin. Since then my levels have been great. Amanda
Most Active
Recent Topics
Writing a book
GloryGirl · 2 replies · 875 views
Sad - no posts since 2008!
Ruth S. · 1 replies · 812 views
HAPPY SurgeryVersary!
TberryRose · 0 replies · 872 views
FYI: Gastroparesis and WLS
SUPERMANs_Wife · 1 replies · 1128 views