Help with My Hair

Lynn J
on 10/13/05 9:53 am - LA
I starting losing hair at about 4 months after surgery. It lasted about 3 months. Ever since my hair is awful. It is so thin and it feels and looks like straw. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have tried every conditioner on the market. Lynn J., lap RNY 9/29/04 -150 lbs.
safarris
on 10/14/05 1:06 am - Rock Hill, SC
Have you tried vitamins for your hair? I use a generic skin,hair and nails vitamin that I got from Wal-mart and it has really mad a difference with mine. Hope this helps, Sherry
Jan Ocala
on 10/15/05 7:36 am - Ocala, FL
Are you absolutely, positively SURE that you're getting in enough protein and taking your vitamins RELIGIOUSLY and that you're absorbing the vitamins??? If so, then I would go back to my surgeon's office and ask them what they think. Jan
Lynn J
on 10/15/05 8:38 am - LA
Jan, My protein level has been a little below normal since surgery but I just went for my one year visit and my protein level is within normal range now. I am trying to drink 3 protein shakes every day but sometimes I only drink 2. I don't eat very much because I'm just not hungry. I do all the vitamins. I am going to add a hair, skin and nail vitamin. That's what the surgeon's office recommended. Also, I have been coloring my hair. Could this be a problem? Thanks. Lynn J., lap RNY 9/29/04 -150 lbs.
Jan Ocala
on 10/15/05 8:54 am - Ocala, FL
Coloring your hair could possibly make it brittle so that it would snap off, but not fall out, I wouldn't think, although I'm no expert on that. I've been told that if you don't have at LEAST 60 grams of protein each day at a MINIMUM, then you're at risk to lose some hair and that taking a hair/skin vitamin when you're not eating enough protein won't work because they go hand in hand. This is just what I've been told. It's ALL about proper nutrition and the hair is the first thing to suffer if you're not eating enough or correctly. Get that protein in!! You can do it!! If you're not hungry, then drink the protein! Good luck! Jan
Pixielf~*
on 10/24/05 12:09 am - in the forest........., MO
Revision on 09/30/13
I am just offering tidbits that have helped me... I don't know you specifically so don't know if this might help. Coloring your hair fries it. Depending on the strength of it and how expertly it is done might mitigate some of the damage but it still is harsh to your hair. That being said lets move on to other things... I have noticed that when I started taking my Omega 3's (essential oils) that my skin, hair and nails really benefitted. Of course the change is NOT going to happen overnight but it did occur. I also take Biotin (OTC) B-12 sublingual, Calcium Supps, multivitamin supps and was as a laundry list of other vitamins. I lost a slew of hair at about the 4-5 months range and it was a little unnerving. It has since stopped and started to regrow (I'm 13 months Post WLS).... Let us know if any of these things help out! Best Wishes... Elizabeth~
Lynn J
on 10/24/05 7:53 pm - LA
Elizabeth, Thanks for the suggestions. I really don't want to color my hair anymore but I have so much grey hair. My son is getting married soon and I have to decide if I'm going to color it before the wedding. I do take a lot of vitamins. Which brand of Omega 3 do you take? Lynn J., lap RNY 9/29/04 -150 lbs.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Writing a book
GloryGirl · 2 replies · 875 views
Sad - no posts since 2008!
Ruth S. · 1 replies · 812 views
HAPPY SurgeryVersary!
TberryRose · 0 replies · 872 views
FYI: Gastroparesis and WLS
SUPERMANs_Wife · 1 replies · 1128 views