I need a pep talk

GloryGirl
on 10/20/05 11:10 pm - Columbia, MO
As everyone else on this board I am a little over one year post op. I have lost 140 lbs. For at least the last month, I have been stuck. I am not losing and my weight is fluctuating two or three lbs a day but never going over the 140 lb. loss mark. I need to lose another 90 lbs and I'm starting to worry that it won't happen. I do water walking for at least 30 minutes 4-5 times a week. The arthritis in my knee makes this the best form of exercise for me. I have about 30-50 grams of liquid protein a day. In the category of eating, I have found that I crave cin. crunch bagels from Panera's. If I eat one-two of these a day it seems to help the constipation. OK, I know, this is probably what I need to cut out. Other than that I eat about one meal a day and maybe have a snack of ham and cheese (no bread) at noon. In the evening, I eat about half a meal of whatever I'm fixing for the family. Last night it was steak, green beans and cheesy potatoes. I drink crystal light at least 64 oz a day and maybe more. I need a pep talk and reminders about all the things I'm supposed to be doing. I am panicing about the 18-month window, knowing I only have five more months and I don't want to be frittering the time away. So, help me gang. Tell me what I'm supposed to be doing. I need some encouragement to get things jumpstarted again. Any plateau buster ideas would be appreciated.
Beth_rr2
on 10/21/05 10:32 pm - Chenoa, IL
Teresa! You aren't alone in your struggle, believe me! You have already identified the one problem area in your journey (Panera's!) and can choose what to do! Your tool is there waiting for you to use it. Remember, we will always be dealing with these issues for the rest of our lives....what helps me are suggestions I've gleened from fellow board members: 1. Be 100% accountable for all you put in your mouth. Fitday.com has helped me with this. 2. DRINK more. Doing is believing. It's amazing how 16 oz of water can make you full! 3. Consider eating more dense protein instead of or in addition to your protein drinks. If you really can't go without your cinnamon crunch bagel, eat some meat before your bagel. Then, get rid of the bagel that's left. I find when I'm giving into the carb monster, it's because I've gone meatless. 4. Concentrate on the things you are doing RIGHT!!! Are you excercising, getting your water, protein, vitamins, etc. in? Looks like you are to me! 5. Don't beat yourself up for the bad food choice. Unlike before our surgeries, we have an amazing tool waiting for us to use to get back on track. I'm amazed often how I can get back on track as in the past, once I fell off the wagon--I was a goner! Congratulations on your weight loss so far! My best, Beth -140
Jan Ocala
on 10/22/05 10:26 pm - Ocala, FL
I agree with what Beth suggested, especially the protein issue. Try mixing up your protein and eating it instead of drinking it! Also, when I was doing Weigh****chers, a good way to break a plateau was to switch up the calories. For a couple of days, eat plenty and for a couple of days, eat at the bottom of your calories, but of course make sure you get your protein in first. I think using Fitday.com to track EXACTLY what you're consuming is a great idea. You're really doing it all right and the weight will move again, but I understand it's frustrating to have to wait!! Jan
Pixielf~*
on 10/23/05 11:55 pm - in the forest........., MO
Revision on 09/30/13
ello' again...just on a different board! (for everyone else here...Teresa and I also reside on the MISSOURI BOARD!... Watch those carbs my dear. I was on the plateau from HADES.. and I was doing much like you are doing...the scale wasn't budging. I started logging back into fitday and saw that my carb intake was a bit higher than my protein intake. I nailed that down fast. This info. was also supported by my PCP. She said that for most folks (not just those having WLS) you HAVE to get your carb intake under your protein intake if you want to loose weight. It has paid off. Since I started doing this I have lost 9 lbs.! How cool is that? Before the scale was not budging...now it is changing almost everyday.... Up your water intake and get those carbs under control. As suggested in a previous post.. I know that I will not crave carbs if I am making the choice for a dense protein first. Good advice! Elizabeth~ only 26lbs. til ultimate UBERGOAL and well past surgeon's goal!
KGSlaugh
on 10/25/05 2:18 pm
Hey Teresa! I live and die by fitday. It's a little obsessive, but my surgeon mostly focused on calories and protein, but my carb intake has always be almost double my protein intake. Remember we want whole wheat dense/complex carbs like oatmeal, wheat bread and the like. Also, our "tool" is great, but the bottom line is energy taken-in (food eaten) minus energy expended (what physical activities we do) has to be less or you won't lose. -example: I eat 1500 cals a day--my nutritionist says at rest w/ no additional activity i need 1500 cals a day--if I am active maybe eat 1800 to sustain myself, but if I am trying to lose, then I eat 1500 (just barely what i need) and increase activity. I hope that makes sense... you can find your BMR and it will tell you how many calories you need per your activity level at: http://html.theomahachannel.com/sh/idi/health/calcs/bmrcalc.html The various ways you break up your calories is up to you. I decided not to stress over carbs as long as I wa****ting my protein goal b/c afterall people have been having success with this surgery for years before the "carb craze" hit. Also, my nutritionist let me borrow this book on successful habits of post-ops. The info included said, no carbonated drinks, take your vitamins, wait between eating and drinking and #1 most important: EXERCISE. I hope any of this info helps break your stall--keep us posted!! -KT
Pixielf~*
on 10/25/05 11:55 pm - in the forest........., MO
Revision on 09/30/13
I'm tickled that you have done so well since having your WLS. One word of caution though. There ARE those of us who are extremely sensitive to carbs (good, bad or otherwise) and no****ching them DOES affect us. Unfortunately I am one of those folks. Even when I was an elite gymnast in my youngers days and I LIVED in the gym (over 6+ hrs. a day) I had to watch my carbs like a hawk. At that type of athletic level my activity was far greater than what any adult could be capable of now no matter HOW much activity they did. I'm still the same way now. I literally had to count gram by gram. As for the calorie info. You are right on the money... it comes down to a math equation. Burn more take in less.. VOILA' weight loss..... Thanks for sharing your information... Elizabeth~
GloryGirl
on 10/26/05 12:43 pm - Columbia, MO
I went to your link and I guess I've figured out the problem is that I'm eating the exact right amount of calories to maintain my weight. I'm consuming too many carbs as well. So, I know what my problem is...now just attacking it. That's the problem. Thanks. How do you give up the carbs once you've got them back in your system? I tell myself to eat protein but nothing tastes as good as the carbs. OK, I know the honeymoon is over. Now, it's back to the hard work. TP
Ruth S.
on 10/30/05 12:08 pm - Orlando, FL
I knowit's hard but it's back to basics then....this is a lifetime of struggles...to lose the weight is great but then we do get back to life and have to continue to struggle for life. Keep on working at it..just like me..I've been in a plateau also but just recently lost a few lbs while moving, hahaha..but I know once I'm settled I will get back to exercise..my food intake has been pretty good and I stay pretty much away from carbs...so i know it's not that. Hang in there!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Writing a book
GloryGirl · 2 replies · 875 views
Sad - no posts since 2008!
Ruth S. · 1 replies · 812 views
HAPPY SurgeryVersary!
TberryRose · 0 replies · 873 views
FYI: Gastroparesis and WLS
SUPERMANs_Wife · 1 replies · 1129 views