Weight gain...attempting sclerotherapy

northern_mama
on 4/17/07 4:57 am - southwest, MI
Well I have gained around 25 lbs since my lowest weight. I'm not following the rules as I once was so much of it is my fault. I was surprised by how much I can eat now though so I did call my surgeons office. They are going to schedule me for sclerotherapy to create scar tissue around the opening at the bottom of my stoma. It is supposed to help me stay full longer. My iron is repeatedly low and so I'm supposed to take ferrous sulfate but it really upsets my stomach so now I'm going to try ferrous gloconate. So I'm low on energy (due to low iron) and I've gained weight but I still feel very lucky to have had the surgery. I'm hoping to get my butt in gear and get some weight off by exercising and snacking less. Hope everyone is having success. If you are having trouble because you can eat too much try and find out about sclerotherapy. I know Dr. Baker at MMPC in Grand Rapids, MI performs them regularly. Patty
Caroline69
on 4/18/07 3:04 pm - Tucson, AZ
Hi Patty is this procedure dangerous???? can you tell me more about this. I can eat alot more also ,wish i could find something to make me eat less.....
northern_mama
on 4/18/07 10:35 pm - southwest, MI
It is considered an outpatient procedure. I found this explanation on the web. Sclerotherapy: Sclerotherapy is an outpatient procedure available for gastric bypass patients who have a dilated (enlarged) opening in their pouch. The procedure may be helpful in preventing additional surgery and may assist the patient with continued weight loss. It involves injecting an irritant around the opening from the pouch to the intestines. The body then reacts to the irritant by constricting (decreasing) the opening. Best of luck to you! Patty
Cheryl J.
on 5/31/07 11:27 pm
Hi Patty, Did you have the Sclertherapy treatment yet? If so, how are the results? I have a n appointment this month 6/14 to see about getting it done. Cheryl
Sheryl E.
on 10/25/07 3:25 am
I am right with you, Patty. I have gained 25 lbs, as well. I had the BPD/DS, so not sure if the treatment can be done for me. It seems i could eat constantly. I even went back to weigh****chers, but the more I focus on what I eat, the more I eat. Sheryl E.
lstottward
on 12/8/07 9:08 am - Great Falls, MT
just wondered if you have had success with the sclerotherapy?? best wishes lynnette w
LadyP
on 1/23/08 7:35 am - New Haven, CT
It's been a long time since I came here, and to read all that you guys are going through, hits home so deep, I was doing fine with my weight, until they had to give me steroids for my legs, I started putting on weight and can't get it off, and just like everyone else i'm always hungry. I would like to look into the sclerotherapy, if its not like a surgery. Well thanks for all of this information Paula
Beckie T.
on 4/24/08 10:52 am - Palmdale, CA
Patty: Let us know how it goes for you. I think a lot of us need something like this. I know some folks that had the lap band installed on top of the RNY. Good luck.
Most Active
Recent Topics
7 years post op & 80 lbs gained
jdelany · 1 replies · 1101 views
Cravings
J P. · 1 replies · 693 views
checking in
tinktee · 1 replies · 813 views
Checking in, it's been awhile
heather0824 · 0 replies · 580 views