Surgery 10/5 getting a bit nervous

KATHY H.
on 8/4/04 5:07 am - BRISTOW, VA
My date for surgery is 10/5 and has been set since May. Had to plan around work and family. Am anxious to get going but a bit scared of the death side effect! Haven't been able to tell my Mom or grown daughter yet am afraid they will try to talk me out of it. Husband is fairly supportive but worried about the big "D". Have shared with only a few very select and supportive friends. Read in newspaper last night 1 in 200 die from complications of Gastic Bypass surgery seems like awfully high odds. My doctor claims to have lost only 1 patient in over 1000 procedures. Just looking for a little reasurance! I really need to have this done and improve the quality of my life. Any good words of support would be appreciated! Kathy
Alyson M.
on 8/4/04 9:58 am - Dennis Port, MA
Don't worry, just think about how great you will look and feel after this! I am 10/5 too, and my doc has lost 2 patients out of 500, 1 because she had complications that she didn't let on about (stupid!) and one because of a staple misfire, which he corrected but her health was so bad. Dont' worry, be happy! Just think of the positives, and I'll see you on the losing side on the 5th!
Jasna2
on 8/7/04 3:13 am - Eau Claire, WI
My date is October 13. I have a little fear but I know I don't want to continue to live as I am. My weight has always been an issue for me but only recently has been getting "in my way". I don't have the stamina, seats have become snugger and rides at the fair are tight. I am from Wisconsin and taking my son and mother to Mexico for my surgery. I feel like I am flinging us all into the great unknown. Anne
Baby G.
on 8/8/04 4:39 am - GA
Same date here too! Just focus on the positive if you pray spend time in prayer and mediating on positive thoughts. I will keep you in my prayers all will be fine. Marsha
jmhmr
on 8/8/04 7:24 am - Mosinee, WI
My date is 10/19 and I'm feeling exactly the same way...scared of the "Big D, but I'm trying to focus on the positives. After all, every surgery is risky, and what will my life be like in 10 years if I don't finally do something other than try the latest diet craze? Janelle
KATHY H.
on 8/9/04 1:12 am - BRISTOW, VA
We just have to think positive prayer, meditation whatever it takes! I want to be a new person, a healthy happier person who doesn't obsess every day about what I eat and how much I need to lose weight while it seems I only gain it! This has to be a good thing!!!
(deactivated member)
on 8/20/04 3:20 pm - Shakopee, MN
Hi there, I offically have six fridays left (the sixth being the day of surgery), meaning October 1st. I feel a little blessed by that date because the 31st of October will be my 1st wedding anniversary so its like two of the biggest new beginnings in my life taking place at the beginning and end of my most favorite month. Plus my date is under the sign of Libra (which is the scales) which makes me feel a little more at ease because of the balance that Libra provides. Anyway, for awhile I started freaking out over the Big D but then I realized that I'm not living much of a life right now anyway. I'm paranoid when I go out into public because I always feel like "the fat girl everyone is judging" so I chose to stay home, which just gets me fatter and fatter. I have outgrown all the store sizes - I'm just out of a size 28 so sometimes I can find something in my size but that usually means trying on and being humiliated by at least twelve other items of clothing before finding the ONE that fits. I have not updated my wardrobe in years because of it. But having this surgery for me really is not about wearing clothes that fit or being able to walk in public without feeling the judgemental eyes of everyone on me - although NOT having to deal with those things will be nice. For me its all about wanting to feel better, healthy and ALIVE again. I feel like the walking dead - just going thru the motions of life until death really does come along and take me. Will it be better for my family, my husband, my friends if I am dead. No. I know it will be very tragic for them and I ache thinking I could hurt them in this way and that they'll blame me for being so selfish. But I'm not being selfish, I'm trying to win back the life I've almost lost. I'm not even the same person anymore - I don't feel funny, I don't feel intelligent or compassionate. I'm not a happy person - not the way I used to be. The me I used to be has suffociated under all this weight and she's begging with me - pleading with me - to let her back out because she so desperately wants to live. So yeah - 1 in 200 sounds like a hell of a risk - but I also know that if I don't have the surgery I probably have 5 years to live anyway. And that would be five of the most unhappiest years of my life ever with very brief moments of joy. And, not to be crass - but if I'm dead, I won't care that I'm dead because I'm dead and it was my time to go anyway - car accident, heart attack, whose to say it just wasn't my time. Gods will be done and all that jazz. Even though my family and husband don't like to talk about this possible, yet unlikely, outcome - I know that what I need to do is be prepared just in case. And then get my haunting clothes ready because you're damn straight I'll be coming back for a little midnight fun. Hehe. Look - all joking aside - its good to be scared. Its a dangerous surgery. And you might decide that the risk is just to great. Thats ok too. Nobody is judging or persuading. Its all on you and what you're comfortable doing For You! Now, if that wasn't random enough I'll be happy to come back and get some more randomness in. But for now I'm heading off to bed - it was a very very long day... Take care and many blessings to you - to all of you - on this curious, thrilling, terrifying, blessed journey, Rachel
judy G.
on 8/23/04 3:28 pm - wingo, KY
Kathy, my date is 10/5/04 I'm NERVOUS to,but excited to.
Most Active
Recent Topics
7 years post op & 80 lbs gained
jdelany · 1 replies · 1101 views
Cravings
J P. · 1 replies · 693 views
checking in
tinktee · 1 replies · 813 views
Checking in, it's been awhile
heather0824 · 0 replies · 580 views