This Isn't Working

dlhelmick
on 9/7/04 5:19 am - Lehigh Acres, FL
Ok, time for me to do some whining I started my Pre-Op diet today AND attempted to quit smoking. Can I say it's not going so well giving both up at a time when I'm stressed to the max?!?!?! The food isn't a big deal, I can deal with the shake for breakfast and lunch-just need to distrct myself from any snacking. The problem...rather than snacking I used to smoke?!?!?!?! Now I can't do either and I'm going I have got to get a grip though-whether I want to or not I have to stop smoking or I'll be the dorko that dies from her "self-induced" pulmonary embolism all b/c she couldn't stop her nasty habit And as for the diet, well that's playing on my mind b/c I don't know if my liver is enlarged or not so can I ask, is it going to be detrimental if I cheat from time to time? This is turning out to be harder than I though-maybe I'm not cut out for this surgery if I can't even get it together Pre-Op Danielle
pat9047
on 9/8/04 12:32 am - CO
Danielle Danielle Danielle!!!! All you can do is your best. If you have any doubts please postpone surgery. As for the smoking, I have read that smoking is harder to quit than heroin (and cigs are legal!!!). I am not a smoker but consider some of these suggestions: Identify you habitually smoking times, e.g. during or after telephone calls, after eating, while watching the news, etc. Be extra vigilant during those times. Take up knitting, crochet or needlework to giveyou something to do with your hands. Brush your teeth when urge for smoke is overpowering. Forgive yourself for any lapses. You are not a bad person and lapses happen to best of us. Open windows, vacuum drapes and furniture and burn candles to remove any residual smoke odor. Make your home a no smoking zone for family and friends. Throw out any hidden "emergency" cigarettes. Best of luck in quitting!!!
Daniella W.
on 9/8/04 1:14 pm - Madison, WI
Hello Danielle, I have to give up smoking for surgery too. I am a very heavy smoker. My surgeon will not do surgery if I smoke. This is the first time I have ever tried it. This is my first day. I am tricking my mind and I am saying "YOU CAN DO THIS IT IS ONLY FOR A FEW WEEKS." It is very difficult. I smoked only a few today. I purchased the nicotine patch today which is going on tomorrow. My Surgeon will do a blood test. If only a trace of smoke shows up the surgery will be cancelled and I would have to wait until next December of 2005. Talking about feeling the pressure!!!! Remember it is always easier for a non smoker to tell you to quit smoking. I have cleaned my entire house today. Washed the curtains and the bedding. Everything. No ashtrays in the house. When I smoked I went on my Patio. Whenever you have the urge drink a big glass of water. Keep yourself busy. That is what I am doing. Keep telling yourself you have to do it. At least for now. Take it one day at a time. For me it is day one. I have 13 more days to go. AND I CAN DO IT!!! Daniella
rqrivera
on 9/10/04 2:21 pm - Aguas Buenas, PR
Danielle, Just try your best, I had the same problem and I know It is very very HARD!!! to be honest with you, I could not quit all the way together, I went down to maybe 1 or 2 cigarettes per day, I found I smoked more when I was around people who smoked so I tried to stay away from those types of situations, what also helped was that my husband did not smoke in front of me. I am the type that needs a cig to relieve stress and anxiety so towards the end of my wait it got more difficult. I think I really had my last cigarette 3 days before surgery, then again, I was not smoking every day only 1 - 2 times per week. Hang in there, I am not saying its ok to smoke, god knows its not wise before surgery, think of the fact you are giving this up temporarily (That's if you choose to smoke after surgery, might turn out you don't), nothing in life is free, you are giving up smoking for a better, healthier and leanier life. Good Luck and keep up the good work. I will be praying for a safe surgery and fast recovery!! Rosie (Open RNY 8/30/04)
Most Active
Recent Topics
7 years post op & 80 lbs gained
jdelany · 1 replies · 1101 views
Cravings
J P. · 1 replies · 693 views
checking in
tinktee · 1 replies · 813 views
Checking in, it's been awhile
heather0824 · 0 replies · 580 views