Regressing

TAMI M.
on 11/20/04 5:02 pm - JACKSONVILLE, TX
Hi everyone, I had surgery 4 weeks ago and was eating solid food with no problem. Now all of a sudden I can't eat any solid food without vomiting. I am getting liquids done. The nurse at my surgeons office said that the stoma starts to swell when it developes scar tissue with healing. The symptoms should subside soon. Is anyone else having a problem like this?
talkingkatz
on 11/20/04 5:16 pm - Maple Valley, WA
I've been wondering if my stoma has been smaller or something, too. Does the swelling go down or is the scar tissue going to stay that way???? I can eat solid food, but it seems not as 'easily' (huh) as recently.
TAMI M.
on 11/21/04 9:47 am - JACKSONVILLE, TX
Hi Kiki, The surgeons nurse said it should subside in a couple of weeks. I think I am going to try the pepcid though. It is over the counter. It's worth a try to get some relief. Tami
Audra A.
on 11/20/04 8:00 pm - Itasca, TX
My surgery was on 10/13/04. I did fine with the liquids but had problems with the solids. I was vomitting alot. I had my stoma dilated on 11/9. It's some better now. Still was nausea but no more vomitting.
Bettyj
on 11/21/04 1:31 am - University City, MO
Thats what I was doing until my doctor asked if I was taking the Pepcid prescription he had given me at the hospital. Thats when I learned I had to take it to keep the swelling down in my pouch. I hadn't felt like I had an acid problem but was told the stomach automaticlly makes acid and it causes the swelling inside the stomach. This closes up the opening if its not treated. I'm taking the pepcid and now he's added Carafate. He says people that once were able to start foods can then have the swelling, solids stop going down, so people go back to liquid. It could continue to swell and liquids are harder to take and you end up dehydrated and in the emergency room. Since I've been faithful with the Pepcid. I'm getting back to "real" foods again.
piizzadude
on 11/22/04 5:55 am - Harrisburg, PA
Could be a stricture, which is an easy thing to correct. If you are still having issues, make an appointment and ask to have an egd done. I had the same thing (not keeping foods down) and then finally my stoma closed all the way. THe doc went in, dialated it and now a week later I am pretty much back to normal. Dan -56
Detra K.
on 11/22/04 11:39 am - Wilmer, AL
I had my surgery the day after yours. I am not able to eat sold food period, sent me to the ER, very few things I can eat pureeded. its very hard on me. I found some crackers I love to eat beer cheese crackers, I can eat them with no problems. boiled eggs I can't eat, any type of meat i can't eat, I can eat salmon, and tuna, I can drink milk, eat cheese, cottage cheese, ceral soaked in milk, I am very limited... and I am having a aweful time with my liquids, and trying to get protein in. Detra
knkaysmom
on 11/24/04 8:54 am - Shelbyville, KY
I agree with Dan. Request an EGD. I had stricture last week and had the same symtoms as you. My surgeon called me not even 5 minutes after I called the office about my problem and suggested coming in that afternoon for an EGD. I ended up going in the next morning and now I feel 100% better. Good Luck Carolyn
debi327
on 12/8/04 4:39 am - Henderson, TX
Tami, Yes, I had the same problem. Yesterday I went and had mine dilated. I suggest you get this done as soon as you can. I got to where I couldn't even drink my juice, but as soon as I got away from the hospital. (it is an outpatient procedure) I ATE FOOD and it stayed down. I see that you live in Jacksonville, TX. I want to encourage you to use Dr. Gary Boyd for the procedure. They sedated me and I don't remember a thing about it. No pain was involved. He is great. He works at the Olympic Plaza of East Texas Medical Center and his number is 903-592-4460. I am an RN and I can tell you he is wonderful... Get it done now though, you don't need to wait until you can't get any fluid in. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions about this procedure.
Most Active
Recent Topics
7 years post op & 80 lbs gained
jdelany · 1 replies · 1101 views
Cravings
J P. · 1 replies · 693 views
checking in
tinktee · 1 replies · 813 views
Checking in, it's been awhile
heather0824 · 0 replies · 580 views