How many grams of carbs daily???

Rachella U.
on 12/7/04 2:53 pm - Grants Pass, OR
Hi everyone! Today I am 7 weeks post-op and down 37.5 lbs. Unfortunately I have been at a standstill for 8 days but I am hoping that will change. I get my fluids in (at least almost all of them), I do pretty good with getting in all 50 g of protein and I exercise when my migraines allow me to, so I guess it will happen sometime soon. I have not gone above 600 calories and my fat grams are pretty low, but my questions is..........how many carbs should we take in daily? I am always wondering how much is too much. Any help is appreciated. Thanks so much. Rachella
Sheryl in So Cali
on 12/7/04 10:42 pm - San Clemente, CA
Rachella Of course, all surgeons are different. My doc told me: between 800 - 1000 cals a day carbs - below 40 g a day protein - 60 - 90 g a day liquids - 64 oz a day minimum I have been pretty close to these numbers, except I do not think I have hit 800 cals a day. Shoot, with all the water, who has time to eat! Do you use www.fitday.com? I is a great free program that tracks your daily intake. At first it is a bit confusing, but once you get the hang of it, it is a breeze. Sheryl
Rachella U.
on 12/8/04 12:09 am - Grants Pass, OR
Hi Sheryl, Thanks so much for your helpful post. I was worried that I might be taking in too many carbs, but it seems like I am on the right track. I also stay away from pasta, breads, sugars, etc. I do have some Melba Toast crackers sometimes with some cheese for a change of pace - never too many at one time though. I do wish that I could eat salads and fruits, but that is still a month or so away according to my doc's rules. Before surgery and after I had my daughter, I have been unable to eat salads because they hurt my stomach too much. I am hoping that this might have changed since surgery, so I am anxious to give them a try when they are allowed. I can see where it would be hard to take in 800 calories! I do use fitday.com and love it! Thanks again. Rachella
jmhmr
on 12/8/04 8:54 am - Mosinee, WI
Thanks for the breakdown. I was wondering the same thing. Janelle
minime
on 12/9/04 5:42 am - Littleton, NC
Last week I weighed and I have been at a standstill for about 7 days, I hope its because my cycle was getting ready to star. I got a little discouraged but I am back on track. Hang in there you will start to lose again.I am not sure about the carb intake. I dont do well with pasta bread ,or sugar so I dont have much of a carb intake.
LilTroysMom
on 12/10/04 11:11 pm
Hi Rachella, My Dietitian says I should have the following: 1000-1200 calories per day 64-96 oz water 70-100 g protein 20-25 g fat 100-120 carbs no more than 15 g sugar per sitting I did not agree with the numbers she gave me, so I went and asked my surgeon what he thought and here are the numbers he gave me: 600-800 calories 64-96 oz water 70-100 g protein 20-25 g fat 50-60 carbs sugar as tolerated I am usually within my surgeons guidelines, not the Dietitian. Just remember, you do need carbs for energy, so do not limit them too much. Just try to differentiate between the good and bad carbs. Best Wishes, Jennifer -57 (-42 since surgery) 237/222/180/135 45pounds til goal...
Rachella U.
on 12/11/04 2:09 pm - Grants Pass, OR
Thanks Jennifer. Those numbers look pretty good. I just recently went over the 600 calorie mark, but I have never been able to get in 70 grams of protein. My doctor says 50-80 grams and I have been able to get in around 60 at the most per day. Recently I have been having a difficult time getting my fluids in for some reason. Everything seems to hurt my stomach. Still giving it a good try though. So far I have lost 38.5 lbs now since surgery. I have been kind of stuck for a couple of weeks. Hopefully that will change soon. Thanks again to everyone for your helpful suggestions. Happy Holidays to everyone! Rachella
Most Active
Recent Topics
7 years post op & 80 lbs gained
jdelany · 1 replies · 1101 views
Cravings
J P. · 1 replies · 693 views
checking in
tinktee · 1 replies · 813 views
Checking in, it's been awhile
heather0824 · 0 replies · 580 views