Suggestions on Iron/ Still crushing?

JoannM
on 2/20/05 10:56 am - Fort Walton Beach, FL
Hi Oct babies - I had been told I am anemic and need to boost up my iron. Does anyone take additional iron supplements? My PCPs nurse suggested Slow Fe but I know time released pills are not appropiate for Post WLS. I am 4 months out today and have been taking a general chewable multivitamin. I can't find a chewable multivitamin with extra iron, and was told chewable and liquid iron stain the teeth, and iron should not be crushed. Also, is anyone able to swallow pills without crushing them yet? I'm afraid they will get stuck so I still crush. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks... Joann RNY 10/20/04 155/185/139 - 70 LBS - 60 inches
Sheryl in So Cali
on 2/20/05 12:24 pm - San Clemente, CA
Joann I have been taking iron pills since 3 weeks out with no problems. I just had my bloodwork done last week and everything came back fine. I take one Nature Made Iron 65 mg every day right after lunch. They are tiny little pills. I think I got them at SavOn drugs. Hope you find something that works for you. Sheryl
craigerzz
on 2/21/05 8:54 am - Klamath Falls, OR
Hi Joann, I take Vitron-C. I get it at rite aide and take two each night b4 I got to bed. It's easy to get down and isn't time released. Hope this helps. Craigerzz
joyced5890
on 2/22/05 1:18 am - Newtown Square, PA
Hi Joann, I just saw your message and wanted to reply...I have been taking full size vitamins for quite awhile now with no problem. I couldn't stand the taste of the chewables so I switched back to my Women's One A Day ASAP. Hope this helps. Joyce D 10/21/04 184/211/???
Pamela Pilch
on 2/23/05 11:10 pm - Mundelein, IL
i received the results from my blood test about a month ago and was told my iron levels were low. i first tired an iron table that was small. i did not have any problem swallowing it but people tell me that iron tables are very hard on your system. i went to the health food store and found a liquid iron sup that is called Floradix Iron & hers a liquid extra formula. it is made from carrot , nettle worth, spinach, quitch roots, angelica roots, fennel, ocean kelp, african mallow blossoms, orange peal, juice concentrates, honey, rose hip exract, wheat germ extract.(that is the ingredients) it is 20 calories per serving iron 10 mg plus it has some vit c and b's i take it 2 x per day once before lunch and once before dinner. i have not had my blood retested yet but will mid april. in addition i also take a multi vitamin, a b complex and calcuim (sometimes i have a hard time swallowing these) Great Protein drink - 40 mgs of protein Isopure - protein at the vitamin shope i found a great tasting protein drink that i take once per day. it comes in different flavors but my favorite is Apple Melon. it takes great it is like a fruit juice. it does have 160 cal (all protein cals) the bottle reads: Isopure, Liquid proen, crystal cear steal. Bottled detonation. Nothin Like it. EVER. Ion Exchange Whey Protein so prue you can's see it.
JoannM
on 2/24/05 2:51 am - Fort Walton Beach, FL
Thanks for all the posts. I heard all sorts of nightmare stories about pills getting stuck I was terrified to try. Update, I actually swallowed a small iron pill without crushing it and I lived to tell about it. Thanks again! Joann
Most Active
Recent Topics
7 years post op & 80 lbs gained
jdelany · 1 replies · 1096 views
Cravings
J P. · 1 replies · 690 views
checking in
tinktee · 1 replies · 811 views
Checking in, it's been awhile
heather0824 · 0 replies · 577 views