Do you feel like your failing?

northern_mama
on 5/12/05 9:04 am - southwest, MI
It has been over 6 months since my surgery. I find that I snack too much, don't drink enough water, don't get in enough protein, and can't seem to consistently exercise. It feels overwhelming to me. Not nearly as overwhelming as it did prior to surgery but sometimes I feel scared that it is just a matter of time before I screw up this opportunity and gain the weight back. So far I have consistently lost weight but I don't really feel "in control" like I know I do sometimes. I liked it so much better when I was counting protein grams, exercising, and drinking my water. I guess I let it slide a little and now I feel like I have to start over. Has anyone else experienced these feeling so early out? I'm sorry for sounding like a big pathetic baby. I was just really, really hoping I wasn't alone in this and that somehow I will find my way back to being "in control". Patty 260/173/160
mary F.
on 5/12/05 12:15 pm - gig harbor, WA
yes!! I have only lost 65 pounds, and most everyone else has lost way more! I still have 35 to go. I too snack too much, I started using fitday today and am hoping journaling will help. I have only been getting to the gym 1-2 times a week and rarely do a exercise video. I do feel so much better and look so much better. My husband has been gone since February he is in the reserves and is in CA for training until the end of June, and I am having a pity party about having to work full time manage all the household stuff and take care of my daughter who is almost five and misses her daddy so much! I let her tears manipulate me into not going to the gym except for when she is in school, and my procrastination gets in the way of an exercise video. I have not changed my environment enough to support my current goals. I am the only one who can make this work and I really want to make my goal by my 1 year anniversery so I am going to work harder at it and get to the gym tomorrow. Things will get better, we are the rulers of our own destiny!
jenn8671
on 5/12/05 9:53 pm - Pepperell, MA
I have "started over" at least five times already! I have had weeks go by where I snacked all day...being home with the kids makes it so easy to do that! I have only lost 68 since surgery...no wonder why. I certainly don't think its unusual to fall back into our old eating habbits. We just need to keep reminding ourselves why we did this and what our goals are. I used to to FitDay everyday, and as soon as I stopped, the snacking went out of control and I probably was eating 1500 calories per day with my carbs going way over 100 per day! This week, I went back to FitDay and I feel SO much more in control. Even journaling your food in a notebook will help. Compared to what I used to eat, its hard to imagine that a nibble here and there.....all day....is damaging, but it is when you add it all up! Ther eis no shame in regrouping, reorganizing and starting over. We're not perfect - we are WLS patients with food addictions and that didn't go away when we had surgery. Exercise is a huge problem for me - I have the motivation, I just don't get my butt up and do it! I always feel great after, so I don't know what I am waiting for......I've got all this skin hanging - if that is not motivation to work out, I don't know what it is going to take. I did get up this morning and got on the Nordic Trac for 20 minutes. And I am going to a party tonight and plan to dance till I drop! So don't get too down on yourself - we are ALL in the same boat...just come here for support, it always helps me. Jenn 250/232/164/143
northern_mama
on 5/13/05 12:48 pm - southwest, MI
Thank you all for replying. Today was a better day. I think when I get sidetracked with other things - like this week I was busy doing my first garage sale - it just messes up my routine. When I have a routine I do better with everything. So I'm really hoping this next week will be better. I struggle with depression and it is no surprise that it has not gone away even though I've lost the weight. I still have the same issues prior to surgery and now I can't eat myself numb. I will have to deal with some of this stuff. Anyways - thank you. Patty
slimsweetie2004
on 5/13/05 12:11 am - Clayton, IN
I really dont feel like I am failing, per se ... but I do know that I am now finding myself snacking a little more. I noticed that I can eat sugary things, like cookies ... and it not bother me so much. Right after surgery, I couldnt eat a doughnut or a cookie, because it had way too much sugar, and it would make me sick. Now, I find myself nibbling on a cookie during the day ... and am not getting sick. I hope I dont fall back into the old habits..... I've never used FitDay ... is it hard to use? I guess I had never kept track of what I ate, and all, because the weight loss seemed to be going ok. Maybe I should start doing that?..... Susan 288/177/150 10-6-04, Lap RNY
kisaacso
on 5/20/05 8:41 am - Stockbridge, GA
Hey Patty! You're not alone with this, I'm 7 mts out and sometimes I worry that I'm snacking or eating too much. Still having hard time getting in enough protein and water. Gone from a size 26/28 to 16, from 310lbs to 183lbs. Would not care if I did not loose anymore weight, but afraid I'll gain it back. Trying to get back on track as far as watching what I eat and getting in the required protein and vitamins. Hang in there, this is why we are all here to help and support each other. If you ever need to talk hey, email me at [email protected].
longandloud
on 5/29/05 4:01 am - Paragould, AR
I know how you feel although I realize that in my own experience I am losing the wieght right on schedule there are still times that I feel or am afraid of failing., I guess after being on so many diets and failing at them there is a constant fear that I am going to eat something wrong and that my weight loss will stop before I want it to, or that I will gain it back. I can eat chips a lot easier than I can eat foods that I should, some meats lay heavy on my stomache, and I have had to resort to adding a protein drink in order to get the protein that I need. It seems hard to try to eat enough food to get the protein my Dr said that I needed. It in fact for me is easier sometimes if I don't eat at all, but that isn't healthy. I think these worries and fears are something that all of us have to face. I avoid eating snacks or when I do eat the ones that are of a better choice. I eat Pop Corn a lot. some people can tolerate things that others might not be able to. I still don't drink carbonated beverages, and really don't miss them anymore. I didn't find out how much protein we were supposed to be taking in per day untill last month, and in that instance I have fallen short, and am blessed that inspite of for the first five months only getting about 20 grams per day all of my blood counts were normal. I am seven months post op and I am still not having to take any B-12 although I probably will have to start that soon. If I can say this to encourage you. as long as you are losing weight whether it is at a fast pace or slow pace, that is the main thing that you are losing, and there will be plateus from time to time but don't give up it will all fall in place as time progresses.
Most Active
Recent Topics
7 years post op & 80 lbs gained
jdelany · 1 replies · 1101 views
Cravings
J P. · 1 replies · 693 views
checking in
tinktee · 1 replies · 813 views
Checking in, it's been awhile
heather0824 · 0 replies · 580 views