Just stuff

TweedleDum
on 4/5/06 2:18 am - Hattiesburg, MS
Spent the weekend at a Healthy Living Class for bariatric patients. It was extremely emotional and intense. Here are just a few things I learned or liked the expression: Absolute Favorite: Change occurs when the pain of where we are is greater than the pain of change. To run a mile still only burns 100 calories - the same as if you walked that mile. See me, Hear me, Approve of me Obesity is a disease. Obese people have less receptors to release dopamine. We released our dopamine by eating. Stress and negative emotions deplete serotonin which causes us to not be centered or calm. Lack of serotonin can cause you not to sleep at night. Obese people have huge Hummuculous - the bigger the hummuculous the larger the BMI. Neurons that fire together wire together. 1/3 of the population is overweight 1 out of 50 people are morbidly obese Skinny people are mutants 1 pound of body fat = 3500 calories SSRI: Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitar Exercise is the number one predictor to keep weight off If you or someone you know is diabetic and they go into a diabetic coma - the only way to help them out of it immediatly is honey under the tongue. Sugar, orange juice, and other sweets will not work. Warm liquids supress hunger Just the thought of food causes insulin levels to rise which stores calories We think 1000 - 2000 words per minute in our brain You cannot take care of others if you cannot take care of yourself Co-dependancy - more focused on on others which can cause health problems, diarreah, you are a worrier. You are accountable for your own relationships. Just by drinking 2 quarts of water can burn 100 calories Caffeine stimulates hunger. Anti-depressants and caffeine together confuse the brain. You cannot heal what you do not acknowledge What other people think of me is none of my business. Amygdala - center of fear memory Stress constantly depletes serotonin - stress suppresses appetite (accute stress) - get a burst of Cortisol and you eat. At the time of death every endorphin in your body is released. Your body will do whatever it takes to survive. Mindful Eating -- This works. I didnt believe it cause I never practiced it but I am now and it works. If you have your food in front of you cut it up into as many peices as you can. Eat very slowly and taste the food - even put fork down if you want. I promise the longer it took us to eat the fuller we got on a lot less food. They suggest one "quiet meal" a day and they suggest it be breakfast.
Caroline69
on 4/5/06 4:51 am - Tucson, AZ
Thanks for the the stuff very informative
Most Active
Recent Topics
7 years post op & 80 lbs gained
jdelany · 1 replies · 1101 views
Cravings
J P. · 1 replies · 693 views
checking in
tinktee · 1 replies · 813 views
Checking in, it's been awhile