One year follow up...

Patricia S.
on 11/7/07 12:18 am - Glen Mills, PA
I took the long 3 hour drive to Baltimore yesterday for my follow up. It was good to have some time to get away and just drive. It's been a stressful few weeks. My company has been sold and in all likely hood by April I will be jobless. I haven't taken it very well. ON top of the job stress we have decided to take the first step in preparing for a family - finding a larger home. So Ive been working late at night to get our current condo ready to go on the market (next week) and worrying over finances and how this is going to work out if we end up with one income and a mortgage that is quite a bit higher than what we have now. I also, for the first time since surgery have been having issues. I've had quite a bit of chest pain (heartburnish sort of feeling) and have been battling hypoglycemia for the past month. Overall the doctor was pleased to the point of laughing in glee with my weightloss. I've lost 77% of my excess weight to date. He had no complaints with my activity, he got a kick out me describing my desire to rockclimb. When he asked about problems, I was apprehensive. I had already realized what teh weakness and extrememe shakiness was from, but I thought I better tell him (I thought it would be a big dea)..I told him that if I didn't eat SOMETHING every 2 hours or so I got very weak, emotional and shake like I have Parkinsons. He smiled and told me it was hypoglycemia and take it as a sign to eat something. I told him I did, that I now carry cheese or nuts with me so I can keep the blood sugar levels as constant as possible. So...that was no big deal. I told him about the burning acid issue. I thought that would be minor. I take an acid reducer and it typically goes away....He was MUCH more concerened about this. He looked through my chart and noticed that I have a hiatal hernia (noted before surgery). So now he is pretty sure that is causing problems and that I have an ulcer as well. So off for tests I go. I guess I was a little overly hopeful that I would be one of those that completed this journey 100% issue free.
Susan T.
on 11/7/07 11:02 am - Waco, TX
Wow...Thanks for the update on how things are going with you. I'm glad the doctor is following up with your issues. Ya know, I do the shaking thing when it's been too long since I've eaten something. But I have to go more like 7-8 hours without food for that to kick in.....Of course, some days I still forget to eat and have it happen....who would've ever thought we would have to be reminded to eat at a year out?? Glad you are doing okay otherwise. Congrats on taking the first steps to prepare for a family. BTW, how about going full time with your piano teaching? Maybe this is the time....just a thought.... Hope it all works out for you. Susan
hollywatson
on 11/7/07 9:23 pm - Oil City, PA
Thanks for the update!! Congratulations on a great checkup! Sorry to hear you have to go for tests, but better to get it taken care of now instead of later! Congrats on taking the first step in preparing for a family....it is a stressful time!! Sorry to hear about your job....what exactly do you do?? I agree with Susan, what about going full-time with your piano lessons? Something you could do from home! Keep us posted on your tests and results! Holly
Tabby C.
on 11/8/07 6:56 pm - West Alexander, PA
Hi, Patti. Glad to hear that your appt went well and your dr is pleased with your progress. You have been so active since your surgery, how could he not be pleased? Sorry to hear about the hernia and the hypoglycemia. I hope that all goes well with your tests. I have had some episodes lately when I don't eat, too. I just try to keep eating my protein so they don't happen very often. I wanted to congratulate you on taking those first steps in preparing for a family. How cool is that??? Isn't this surgery amazing. I see how my cycle is today compared to pre-surgery and can't help but think of how easy it probably would be for me to conceive right now, if we wanted to. I struggled for 2 1/2 years of infertility to get pg with Nathan and a little over a year with Meg. It was heartbreaking. Now, my cycle is every 30 days like clockwork. Good luck TTC when you get to that point. Keep us posted. Keep us posted on the testing,too. Hugs, Tabby
Aime B.
on 11/9/07 6:57 pm - Baltimore, MD
I wish I had known you were in town. Good news on the appt. I am sure Dr. Moen will find what is causing your problems and ease them away. I got to walk with him at the Walk from Obesity held here in Baltimore last month.
Patricia S.
on 11/12/07 12:07 am - Glen Mills, PA
Dr. Moen is a great guy, for sure. He has a fantastic sense of humor too. I'll be back in town (at GBMC) for a follow up on December 3rd...though from your other posts...it sounds like you may have your hands full that week.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone still check in?
E velyn · 0 replies · 234 views
Five Years Already!!
Judy G. · 2 replies · 1231 views
Happy 5 year Surgiversary!!
hollywatson · 1 replies · 984 views
5 years out and now 168 lbs.
Staci G. · 1 replies · 953 views
Anyone checking in?
Tri_harder · 2 replies · 1103 views