Hurricane Rita

pettykash
on 9/25/06 12:21 am - Galveston, TX
One year ago Rita raised hell with the Texas Louisiana coast. I spent 3 days on Highway 59 running for my life. I spent my birthday sleeping in a service station parking lot with 2 or 300 of my closest newest friends. Every one kept telling me happy birthday. My brother kept telling people its her birthday. It became a running joke. But as they say you have to laugh to keep from crying. They thought Galveston and Houston would take the hit. My house was built in the 1880's. So it has taken a lot of hits. Rita did move it a little off the foundation. Sept 23 in my birthday. Turned 56 this year. Last year I had made bar b que plans. In TEXAS we que and that is THE party. This year every one kept teasing me about my plans. I made NONE!!!!! I spent my birthday doing what I love the most......Spent in two fabric stores with 50% off coupons. Yes I am a pattern and fabric junkie. I really need help in that department. Just my thoughts on my birthday that will be forever replaced with thoughts of Rita and Katrinia
mspring64
on 9/26/06 12:45 am - federal way, WA
Happy Bilated Birthday! The thought of what you went through is so overwhelming, I can't even imagine. Up here in Seattle we don't get too many hurricanes or tornados, just earthquakes and volcano erruptions. My heart goes out to everyone who was affected. I would have never guessed you turned 56, you look so young. You also look terrrific! Marta :0)
pettykash
on 9/26/06 5:18 am - Galveston, TX
I am SKARED to death of an earthquake. When I lived in LA in the 70's I had a constant fear of an earthquake. I was kool until I found out Inglewood was on top of a fault. I worked in the old computer rooms. False floors with all the heavy wiring running under neath. We stayed locked in and the floors forever vibrated. When I came out every one was wide eyed asking did you feel it, did you feel it. I didn't feel a thing. I am really glad I didn't I bet I would look 96 today With a very heavy diaper still....
Becca W.
on 9/26/06 3:27 am - port hueneme, CA
Wow, to think how far you are this year from where you were last birthday! I'm sorry the association with the hurricanes is there but I'm glad you can look back and smile at the jokes and such. Happy happy belated birthday, Petty! PS I love to fabric and pattern shop too but the truth is I'm not very good at sewing so I and seldom have time for it so I end up with tons of fabric and patterns just sitting around everywhere!
pettykash
on 9/26/06 5:28 am - Galveston, TX
Girl I really need to be in 12 step program for patterns and fabrics. They would put me out. You know how people book mark important stuff on their computers. My book mark favorites are Vogue, Simpilicity, McCalls and my favorite BUTTERICK. I have real patterns from the 40s, 50s and 60s. They are too old to be used but I flat out refuse to let them go. I also read the measurements from back than. Todays 8 is yesterdays 4. And we won't talk about the fabric I have.....I am using a lot of it now since I have changed sizes so oftern. I am more stable now and think when I fit a perfect 14 pattern I'll try to hold there. I don't want to be yesterdays or todays size 2. I am on both fabric stores mailing list. I read there sales over and over and won't glance at the grocery stores sales at all. I have so many buttons that if we were ever attacked I wouldn't need any bullets. Just hit them with my buttons but I am keeping all the red ones. I'm dead . You know I feel pretty good for 56. A whole lot better than I felt at 46! Thats really a wake up call the weight needed to come off.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Congrats on the 10 years!
Josh H. · 0 replies · 725 views
Still Going Strong!
wantstowin2 · 0 replies · 679 views
do you remember me?
rron999 · 1 replies · 782 views
Happy 6th Birthday!
wantstowin2 · 1 replies · 1148 views
How is everyone doing?
bdub · 4 replies · 1082 views