Window of Opportunity?

zanders mommy
on 10/10/06 12:21 am - Valparaiso, IN
Well its time for my pity party. I am staring to get really scared that I will be staying at this weight. I read posts about alot of you reaching goal( Congrats !!!) but I am not even close! I have gone from a size 34 to an 18 but I am so fearfull that its over! Please take all my crying with a grain of salt I think I may post the same thing every other month but Oh my goodness I can't seem to shake this feeling. I am so greatfull in the fact that I have gone down that many sizes but I still feel like a PIG. I don't remember the window 18 months or a year? If its a year we don't have far to go do we... Thanks for listning to me rant Best of luck to us all!!! keri
Becca W.
on 10/10/06 6:38 am - port hueneme, CA
Hi Keri, I'm just about where you are --- welll, not quite yet, actually... I started off at about a 36 and am down to a 22 so you're doing better than I am! I'm still a faaaaar way from goal but you know, even if I were to stop losing now (heaven forbid), I'd still be so happy with how far I've come. The thing to remember, I think, is that it's not like we're never able to lose any more weight once we hit that year mark. It's just that our bodies kind of figure out a little better how to handle what we did to it with the surgery. But remember, we still have a tiny stomach and we have learned (hopefully) in this time since the surgery how to eat better. Sure, the loss might slow down but you can still lose. Having said that, I know I sure get frustrated as heck when I plateau and it feels like my body is just done losing. I've just started using the Nuva Ring too and I'm scared that on top of the plateau, it might make me GAIN some weight (I don't know if this is the case, I just know that other hormone type birth control can cause that). Anyone have any experience with it?
coffee
on 10/12/06 8:20 am - arlington, WA
IT IS 18-24 MONTHS PER MY DOCTOR. ALTHOUGH PEOPLE AT A MEETING THIS WEEK SAID THE FIRST YEAR IS THE"HONEYMOON" PERIOD AND IT SLOWS DOWN, BUT THIS IS ALSO LARGELY BECAUSE PEOPLE GET LAZY AND SLOPPY... EATING INAPPROPRIATE CHOICES AND/OR QUANTITIES FOR WEIGHT LOSS AND GOOD HEALTH. SEVERAL PEOPLE 16-22 MO POST OP SAID IF WE DO THE RIGHT THINGS WE WILL CONTINUE TO LOSE. IF NOT, JOURNAL AND GO BACK TO BASICS AND DON'T FORGET EXERCISE. THEY ALSO SAID TO REALLY PAY ATTENTION TO OUR BODIES, SLEEP WHEN TIRED, EAT WHEN HUNGRY... STOP WHEN FULL... ETC. I HAVE SO MANY PHYSICAL LIMITATIONS I HAVE DONE WATER EXERCISES SINCE A FEW WKS POST OP, BECAUSE IT IS ALOT EASIER ON MY INJURED BODY. I HAVE LOST 125 LBS, GONE FROM SIZE 32 STRETCH PANTS TO 12/14 ( 16 OR 18 IF JEANS) bUT I STILL HAVE OVER 40 LBS TO LOSE. I AM EATING CORRECTLLY AND ONLY LOST 5 1/2 LBS IN THE LAST MONTH, ALTHOUGH MY HIPS AND THIGHS SHRANK QUITE A BIT. WE JUST HAVE TO TRUST THAT IF WE DO THE RIGHT THINGS, IT WILL BE OK. ANYWAY, I FOR ONE NEED TIME TO ADJUST TO THIS NEW PERSON LOOKING BACK AT ME IN THE MIRROR. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU WERE THE SIZE YOU ARE NOW? I THINK SOMETIMES WE FEEL FRUSTRATED BECAUSE PART OF US STILL WANTS TO EAT THINGS WHICH DO NOT SUPPORT OUR NEW CHOSEN LIFE. WE HAVE TO WORK THROUGH THAT... OTHERWISE THE SCRIPT IN OUR HEADS IS SOMETHING LIKE THIS" I WILL EAT TINY PORTIONS OF NUTRITIOUS FOOD IF I CAN ACHIEVE_______ OTHERWISE I AM NOT SURE IT IS WORTH IT ALL" I HAVE STRUGGLED WITH THIS, AND BELIEVE IT IS A DANGEROUS LIE TO BUY INTO. BLESSINGS
pettykash
on 10/13/06 3:03 am - Galveston, TX
I slowed down. Then I slowed down even more because I was to have a shoulder replacement on Oct 16. Because of budgets cuts at UTMB I have been moved to Dec 6. Before the move I started eating carbs because I was told I would not heal right if I kept loosing. As soon as they pushed me to Dec 6. I have been cutting the carbs back. That is way easier said than done. Take a hard honest look at the carb in take and the eating habits. When I started adding carbs I started GRAZING!!!!! I wasn't doing that before. Now that protein is the main thang' again I have lost the 3lbs I had gained. During this time this was the first time I had a weight gain. Blame it on the carbs blame it on me. I know CARBS but me in the apple bottom shape. So I know I can never ever eat the carbs the way I once did and expect to maintain. We all tend to toss the book out the window. Yes it is slow now but that is better than not at all. I also think I look better now that I am on a slow roll. My doctor gave me 180. So I am at goal. I am also 5' 6 1/2" all legs so that does help carrying 180. If I loose more great and it I don't ok just as long as I never see 315 again unless its 3:15 p.m.
liesehaley
on 11/13/06 4:17 pm - STATEN ISLAND, NY
i'm there with you. In my case i can only blame myself. i got hit pretty hard with the emotional aspects of this surgery and food issues. not to mention i haven't been exercising like i should. my weightloss slowed at around month 4 and since then a pound here and there comes off. i've been hovering at 185-190 for over a month. size 18 since month 6.
liesehaley
on 11/13/06 4:22 pm - STATEN ISLAND, NY
i am 5ft 3in tall high weight of 275 (260 at surgery) Co-morbids at surgery- Diabetes type 2, PCOS now 188 goal 120-140 I was always told the first 6 months are critical. but you can still lose the weight after that . you just have to work a little harder. Exercise is paramount to long term weight loss and success. also we have to be acountable for what we put in our mouths. Just because we can have certain "bad" foods, Should we eat them? NO! Carbs are my big issue. food journaling is something we shoud do to "see" what we are actually eating. WATER, WATER, WATER!!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Congrats on the 10 years!
Josh H. · 0 replies · 718 views
Still Going Strong!
wantstowin2 · 0 replies · 674 views
do you remember me?
rron999 · 1 replies · 780 views
Happy 6th Birthday!
wantstowin2 · 1 replies · 1143 views
How is everyone doing?
bdub · 4 replies · 1079 views