blood and surgery

pettykash
on 11/15/06 4:21 am - Galveston, TX
I went today to give my first pint of blood for my up coming surgery. No big deal. I have done this for years. Well it is a big deal now. I did eat LIVER for dinner last night and LIVER for breakfast this morning. When I gave the blood I didnt eat the cookies or juice. Came straight home and started to run water to wash dishes. I got so light headed and weak I had to go lie down and went into a deep sleep. This is the first time this has ever happen to me giving blood. Don't know what the reason may have been. I have to do it again next week. I will come straight home just in case.
shoegirl1023
on 11/16/06 6:40 am - Solon, OH
What kind of upcoming surgery are u having? Joanne
pettykash
on 11/16/06 11:19 pm - Galveston, TX
I have the bones of some one in their 80's. They are so brittle and I have broken my hip twice. I fell a few years ago and crumbled my left shoulder. Having had so many surgeries I kept putting it off. Now I can barely lift my arm over my head. Left shoulder total replacement. I have so much metal in me you could make a killing at a scrap metal yard.
shoegirl1023
on 11/20/06 11:14 am - Solon, OH
Good luck on your upcoming surgery petty, wow, I had no idea!! You really gotta take it easy, this has to be so hard for you. Hey, I bet going through the security detectors at airports aint so easy with all that metal in you!!! Take care kiddo. Joanne
pettykash
on 11/20/06 11:16 pm - Galveston, TX
When all the airport trouble started I was in there with my son and grandson. I kept beeping and they kept making me walk back through. My son decided he was funny and told security "oh don't worry about her she has a metal plate in her head" Well no one was laughing and they asked us to step over to this table. My grandson was a small fry then. He had a round tube of Prinkles and pickle chips that showed up in his bag of all these odd shape happy meal toys from MacDonalds. I told my son if I have to get butt naked in this airport I am going to jail twice because I am going to kill yo aice where you stand. Now I don't care if it is 20 below If I have to go inside of an airport I wear dresses or shorts so they can see the scars on my knees. And if need be I can raise my dress up and they can see the scars on my thighs. Oh by the way I have never taken my son with me any more to any airport.
lsleach
on 11/16/06 9:48 am - Ransom Canyon, TX
Petty, take care of yourself and good luck on your surgery. I used to give blood all the time (I have some sort of rare kind) and every now and then it would bother me. You are in a weight loss mode still, and probably don't have a lot of extra energy/resources. I know that's not a very scientific response but it seems reasonable... Keep us posted about how your surgery goes... Lisa
Diona A.
on 11/17/06 10:52 am - Miles City, MT
Petty, Next time be sure to eat good beforehand and take something to drink with you like 1/3 gatorade 2/3 water and something to eat like fruit. Be sure to eat and drink and sit for a while before you leave. That should help you not feel so lightheaded and get you around the juice that is mostly corn syrup and the cookies. You shouldn't drive for at least 1/2 hour afterwards. I used to faint every time I gave blood so I had to quit but I know the juice and cookies did help me feel better. Now I have to take my own if I need to do blood. Even giving a few vials can make me light headed! Diona
pettykash
on 11/20/06 11:09 pm - Galveston, TX
Man am I blowing this. I go in a minute to give my blood. Yesterday I decided I would eat more. BOY was that a mistake. I was sick as a dawg all day long and ate less than I normally do. Then I threw what I did eat up. My tummy hurt all night long. Won't be doing that again. Weeeelllllll duhhhhh why didn't I just eat all day long instead of such a big breaksfast. I was intending to eat a big breakfast, lunch and dinner. I ended up with the breakfast only and it didn't stay in me This morning I've had my protein drink. I ate about of a third of those breakfast sandwiches with out the bread. I know thats not enough. So when I get home I'll eat something else. And drink drink drink. This is a tool and I have been using it right. So the first time I tried to do it my way my tool tried to take me out. I see whos in control. I digrest is that how you spell it.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Congrats on the 10 years!
Josh H. · 0 replies · 718 views
Still Going Strong!
wantstowin2 · 0 replies · 674 views
do you remember me?
rron999 · 1 replies · 780 views
Happy 6th Birthday!
wantstowin2 · 1 replies · 1144 views
How is everyone doing?
bdub · 4 replies · 1079 views