I am asking for advice on how to get the ball rolling on getting gastric bypass done

manic
on 10/30/06 12:32 am - Canada
Hi Guys!!!! I am looking for some help advice and tips on what i do to start the process i have done ALOT of reseach on the operation and my mother had it done in Winnipeg about 12 years ago and has been doing awesome since. I am in northern manitoba and after 2 months i finally got a family doctor my appointment is on the first and i dont know what to ask my doc do i just ask her to refer me to dr nohr. I feel like a complete idiot cause i have no idea what to do can anybocy help me?
Woz
on 10/31/06 6:22 am - Fort Saskatchewan, Canada
Hi there There are many other options besides Dr Nohr. In fact i have heard his waiting list is at least 3-4 years long. There is Drs Birch and Davey in Edmonton and they are brilliant Drs. Dr Birch did my surgery and he is incredible!! I can suggest you go to Capitalhealth website and go to bariatric surgery. Once there you can click on the Weight Wise program and there is a place you can download a referal form for your family Dr to fill out and fax in.. The wait time is still a little long but not nearly as long as Dr Nohr. The program here is moving along much faster now that they opened the weight wise clinics, hired more dieticians etc... There is also Dr Farries in Red Deer but he only books on the first Monday of May.. Please feel free to email me and i will be happy to answer any questions you may have about the Edmonton program. Pam
manic
on 10/31/06 2:18 pm - Canada
Hi TY TY TY for the info. I am going at this blindly im trying to read as much as i can but its all so confusing. I read that manitoba health with help with expenses of my travel does that include a chaperone. I was also wondering how many appointments you have before the surgery? just due to the fact that i am in northern manitoba.
Woz
on 11/2/06 8:40 am - Fort Saskatchewan, Canada
I started my appointments in March and had my surgery in September. They most likely would work differently with you since you have to travel to see them. I know we have one person in our group that lives in Yellowknife and had it done here. I will have to ask him how they worked it. I know that you will be very happy with Dr Birch or Dr Davey. They are the BEST in my opinion. So much support before ,during ,and after and dieticians to help you every step of the way. Most others dont offer that. Not to mention they are really the only Drs that do the surgery lap.. which is way better than the open surgery. Please feel free to email me anytime if you need any more information Pam
manic
on 11/2/06 9:00 am - Canada
hi i went to my dr appointment and she told me that she wont even think about discussing the surgery until she gives me a complete physical which can be anywhere in dec or january cause three doctors just left here. im getting frustrared already and i havent even got my refferal letter sent
Most Active