New to this looking for info BJH

BJH
on 11/2/06 2:20 am - Canada
Hello all I am new to this journey, I live in Airdrie just wondering if anyone in Calgary has had Dr. Mitchell Phillip or have anything to say about him.. Haven't been to family Dr. yet for a referal, just wanting more info on the whole thing thanks.
hobo998
on 11/2/06 3:05 am - Canada
I can't help you with any of the Calgary Dr.s .... i went thru the clinic in Edmonton and would highly recommend them. If you want, give me a call and i can have a coffee with you and share my limited experience. I had the lap band done on Aug 01-06. I work in Airdrie and can get away almost any time. Call me if you want 948-7804 and ask for Terry.
BJH
on 11/2/06 5:43 am - Canada
Hi Terry, thanks for the reply. Have you had succes with the lap band. I was thinking of going with the gastric bypass route. Don't really want to travel to Edmonton would prefer to have it done in Calgary.
hobo998
on 11/2/06 9:48 am - Canada
Hi BJ: So far i'm very happy with my band. I got my first fill on Monday and seem to have some restriction. I have to make sure to chew well and slow down my eating or i get stuck. I was 319 at my referal 300 at surgery and 270 today. I am very pleased with this weight loss and expect it to continue to my 1 yr goal of 239. I understand the not wanting to drive to Edmonton......I don't mind in the summer when the weather is good as I take my bike and make a day trip out of it. Got to go for supper...talk to you later Terry
LisaBoston
on 11/2/06 6:01 am - Canada
It is my understanding that the doctor you mentioned does not do RNY. Its really important for you to call the office that you are being referred to find out what procedure they do. I was on a wait list and then found out a week before I was to go that the doctor did lap band and VBG only, not RNY. So important for the patient to keep on top of the wait lists.
BJH
on 11/2/06 7:15 am - Canada
what doctor did you use, was it in Calgary, was hoping not to go to Edmonton, hear there is one in Red Deer that does it. Did you have your surgery yet? thanks for the reply. BJH
LisaBoston
on 11/2/06 7:51 am - Canada
There are a few doctors. Dr Nohr in Medicine Hat and Dr Farries in Red Deer both do RNY. Dr Davey and Birch in Edmonton do lap band and vertical banded gastroplasty. There is a Dr. Mitchell in Edmonton that does a few gastroplasties as well. Farries does bookings once a year - May 1st, you may still be able to get in for a consult, have your doctor send in the paperwork. Nohr has a 3 year wait list for a consult and then approx. another year for surgery. I had my surgery with Nohr in Jan 06 and am down 114 pounds with 20 to go. I am very happy with Nohr and plan on having a panni done with him as well. There are doctors popping up all over the place doing lap band, and a few doing gastoplasty...very few doing the RNY, thus the long wait lists. Its important to have a doctor who has done 200 + surgeries for RNY before you have it done...its really a specialty. Hope this info helps.
J.P.
on 11/7/06 4:35 am - Canada
I am really new to this, and just from reading I have some questions. What is a RNY?
LisaBoston
on 11/7/06 8:45 am - Canada
A RNY is a Roux-en-y...its gastric bypass. It can be done proximal 100cm bypass of small intestine or distal which is 100cm+. Most doctors around here do proximal. Distal is much harder on our system and reserved for those that are super obese (BMI 55+ or so). Panni is the removal of the apron of skin that is left after someone looses a significant amount of weight through any means. In most cases its covered by insurance - although there may be some requirements to get for free ie: kept weight off for more than one year, lost over 100lbs, skin rashes from hanging skin, hernia etc. Most doctors want you very close to goal weight and 12-24 months post op. Hope this helps.
Woz
on 11/2/06 8:44 am - Fort Saskatchewan, Canada
I dont think there are any Drs in Calgary that do the Gastric bypass.. I had mine done with Dr Birch in Edmonton and would never go any other way.. they are AWESOME! Dr Davey his partner also does the gastric bypass it as well as the panni. The dieticians and nurses are wonderful.. its full time support and that is very important in my opinion.. most others dont have any support after surgery.. Please email me if you need any further information Pam
Most Active