Lap band self pay ?

aulabell
on 11/26/06 10:27 am - Lacombe, Canada
Does anyone know who is the Dr in Calgary that does the privately paid lap-band procedure ? My mom is 55 and just below a 35 BM and so doesn't qualify for surgery thru Alberta heathcare but really wants to look into self pay. Anyone know who or have a phone number I can give her ? Thanks, Paula
marty_gal
on 11/28/06 8:14 am - Canada
Hi Paula. I am going to keep my eyes open for this one as well. I am a 12 hour drive from Edmonton and the only self-pay clinic I found was in Toronto. I am doing a consult with them on Dec. 8th but of course I would like to find one closer. Hope you get some response. Dawn
mopsy
on 11/29/06 10:49 am - Canada
Wait times in Alberta far too long. I am seeing Dr. Coburn in Feb 2007 for lap band surgery. You may want to advise your mom that she is getting up there in terms of what age they will do WLS. Good luck.
Cindyf
on 11/30/06 10:57 am - Calgary, Canada
Any idea how long of a wait in Alberta?
mopsy
on 11/30/06 11:57 am - Canada
Hi Cindy - from all accounts it is 2-3 years.
Cindyf
on 11/30/06 12:27 pm - Calgary, Canada
Isn't it a shame that those private clinic's can't direct bill Alberta Health Care!
(deactivated member)
on 12/20/06 6:55 am - Brampton, Canada
Hi Lorna I had lapband surgery with Dr. Cobourn last April, and he is fantastic! Everyone who has had him has nothing but good things to say about their experience. Donna
mopsy
on 12/20/06 7:41 am - Canada
Thanks for the response Donna. I have not heard one negative thing ab out him yet. He is a legend by the sounds of it. Looking forward to a new way of life with my ndew Advanced Platform band - anyone else out there know about this one? Apparently it has just started being used in November. Not approved for use yet in the USA but approval coming.
mopsy
on 11/29/06 10:57 am - Canada
Forgot to advise that Dr. Coburn is in Mississauga at The Lap Band Clinic.
stephanie_gp
on 11/30/06 5:34 am - Canada
I too am going to see Dr. Coburn in mississauga. It is far away and it costs $16,000 plus expenses and consult fees but I would really encourage your mom to phone and speak to someone there. 1-866-803-6415 (The cost can be used as tax deducton under medical deductions.) Dr. Coburn called me in person for my consult and even let me book the date which is only two months away instead of two years. They treat you like a VIP, with compasion and real concern.They are so positive about what they do and even have a web site which answers questions, acts as support group and lets you connect with their other patients for motivation and information. A family doctor will have to do a physical and do blood work before the surgery. The doctors here in Alberta have a huge wait list, give you little or no information and you must get your family physician involved right off the bat. I phoned an Edmonton Dr.s office and his receptionist was as friendly as a wet cat and would not me at all. I understand they must be very busy but I felt as if I'd called some private membership club where you can only join if invited. Anyhow that was what prompted me on to other options. I think that it's expensive but what is my health worth?
Most Active