I'm off to Lap-band Land!!!!

marty_gal
on 12/12/06 7:08 am - Canada
Well, I can't believe it....I have a date set for February 2/07 in Toronto to have Lap-Band done. I am kind of surprised that this happened so fast as I only started this trek a few months ago. I still may have to pay for the surgery(my Health care may cover it) but I think I will have it done anyway. I have had a weight problem for 20 years and I am sure worth the $$$$ to finally get healthy. Thanks to all for all the info. and especially to Terry H. for all the words of encouragement. I will keep you posted. Have a Merry Christmas everyone!!!
hobo998
on 12/12/06 11:20 pm - Canada
Dawn: Great news So happy for you. Remember to "sip,sip,sip, and walk,walk,walk. If your clinic hasn't gone over this with you, they will. It is important. For the first few days when your stomach is swollen from the surgery you will have trouble "drinking" and must keep sipping small amounts of water to keep from getting dehydrated. The walking is to get rid of the gas from surgery(assuming this is a lap surgery and not a open) as well as to keep the blood moving. A quick update on my weight loss..... I had my second "fill" on Dec 04 and got great restriction and have lost another 5 lbs to around 45 lbs lost since surgery on Aug 01-06. I now have a very controllable appeitite instead of that roaring demon that i have battled for years. Again congrats on your surgery date and keep us posted and good luck with health care. Terry
marty_gal
on 12/13/06 2:08 am - Canada
Wow!!!! Good for you Terry. You are doing awesome. I am scared of the "fill". I am hoping that I don't have to have it done too much as I am so far away. Do you pay for each "fill". So, how much are you eating per meal? And is the Optifast yucky? I am starting to get a little scared and nervous as the time goes on. Have you been sick at all? Any info will sure put my mind at ease. Gotta run. Take care Terry. Dawn
hobo998
on 12/13/06 6:00 am - Canada
No need to be scared of a "fill". Depending on how "deep" your surgeon puts your port it is not a problem. My port is very superficial, or not very deep in the muscle and is very easy to access for filling. You might feel some pressure when the needle is accessing the port but there is no pain. Are you going back to Toronto for fills?? You will probably need 2-3 or more fills. I say this from reading posts on the band board on OH. As you lose weight the fat that is around your stomach is lost as well which makes the band loosen up so you need an adjustment every once in a while. How many really depends on the individual and there surgeon. AHC covers all my fills, in fact I haven't had to pay for anything with my band. We are very very fortunate to have this procedure fully covered in Alberta. Since my last fill I eat fairly small meals but try and eat more often (healthy snacks between meals). An example is today for breakfast I had 1 micro waved egg, a small amount of diced ham (I didn't weigh it) and 1 processed cheese slice on 1 pc toasted flax bread. For a morning snack 1 tbsp almond butter on 1 rice cake. I haven't made lunch yet but will probably have a salmon or tuna sandwich or maybe a bowl of chili. I try to stay around 2000 - 2200 calories with 75-100 grams of protein. You will want to check with your "NUT" and see what they recommend for you. Probably don't need as much protein but see what they say. I never had to do the optifast. I did lose 15-20 lbs before surgery but this was over 1 year. My doctor did mention that he would be very disappointed if I gained weight before surgery but did not put me on any special "diet". As far as getting scared and nervous, everyone does, maybe some don't admit it but they are nervous like the rest of us. Even thou lap-band surgery is less dangerous than by-pass it is still major surgery and there is always a chance of problems as there is with any surgery. Your Dr. should talk to you about these risks as they are real and should be addressed. Having said that, also remember the risks you are taking if you don't have the surgery and continue being obese. The diabetes, high blood pressure etc,etc that almost for sure will give you problems eventually if not already. For me it was a very easy decision to make and have the surgery. I have not been "sick" at all. I have had some "slimming" and "PBing" but it has been minor. These have been my own fault as I sometimes insist on wolfing my food. I seem to be a very slow learner. and you must relearn how to eat to be successful with the band. You MUST eat slowly and chew very well or you will have trouble. Especially when you are "tight". As well do not eat 2-3 hrs before bed. You need this time for your pouch to empty before you lay down. For me "acid reflux" is the result of breaking this bandster rule. Your band will remind you when you break the rules and if you don't learn from these reminders you can end up damaging your band/stomach. But the rewards are great and the risks low and all we have to do is follow some pretty basic, common sense rules. You will succeed at this and your life will be so much better. I am approx half way to my goal weight and already the change in my life is dramatic. There is nothing major, just a lot of small things like being able to comfortably tie my shoe laces. I never used to tie my laces, just leave them loose and slide my shoes on and off. As well I can sit in most chairs now without worrying about taking a header. And many more minor things like that.... just things that normal weight people never even think of. Anyway...I'm just rambling so I'm off to make some dinner. Take care and keep in touch. Terry
marty_gal
on 12/13/06 7:57 am - Canada
You are so inspiring, Terry. You answered alot of my fears and I do know that my doctor will answer them too. I am totally confident in them. I do not have to go back to Toronto to get the "fills". They will tell me of a doctor in Alberta that will do them and I will have to pay $50.00 each time. Not a big deal considering everything else I will, and have gone through. I totally understand the small things you are talking about that a normal sized person would never have a problem doing. I just want to feel comfortable in my skin. Be able to sit on a plane without a seatbelt extender. I went to the Dominican in April and that was the first time I had to use one and I cried. I was so humiliated. The stewardess didn't keep it discreet either. I also want to wear shorts in the summer. These legs haven't seen sunshine in 10 years or so. (with the exception of my holiday this year cause no one knew me) I just hate being this way. I wish my husband would understand the frustration and pain I go through. Right now we are battling against the cost. $16,000.00 is alot of money. I do understand that but I think my life is more important.......now look who's rambling. I better get off this subject or I could write a book. Well, Terry, I better sign off. Take care and happy losing. Keep in touch. Dawn
Most Active