Considering Mexico

TreenaMonique
on 4/25/07 6:18 am - Canada
Hello all! I've been lurker for the last year and now need a little help. I have been a patient of the weight management team here in Calgary since November, they are the team that do the lapband. I saw the surgeon last month and was thrilled at the prospect of having the surgery. Even though my BMI is 40 I am "healthy" as a horse (no pun intended) all those that come in the program before of after me with health problems will have the surgery first. So I'd eventually have the surgery but because I have no pressing health issues I will always be at the bottom of the list unless the CRRH gets more funding for the surgeries. I have a tentative date with Dr Joya and am very nervous about going out of the country for the surgery. If anyone has any experience with this I would love too hear about it. Thanks so much.
sunseeker37
on 5/2/07 5:35 am - Saskatoon, Canada
Do NOT be nervous about going out of the country for surgery. It really will be okay. I am currently in Tijuana. Dr. Kuri did my surgery yesterday and I am up and around and feeling great. Dr. Joya was actually who I had originally decided to go with as well. However, their all inclusive price did not really include the full price of a flight from Canada so I started doing more research. I settled on Dr. Kuri because of reputation and price. He is rated the second best doctor in Mexico and, because of his web special price right now of $7500, his price is very reasonable and in line with the not so reputable doctors. My main concern was complications with slippage and erosion. The doctors set our minds at ease the night before the surgery that if you follow the instructions and the rules of the band it will not slip or erode so I am feeling really good right now. Me and my other bandsters (there are five of us) have made fast friends over the last couple days and an amazing support network. The other thing you will want to ensure before you have the surgery is that you have arrangements made for your fills. Have you done this? I hear there are docs in Calgary that do the surgery but I am not sure whether they take on non-surgery patients for their fills. Contact me if you would like further info.
ccqca
on 5/4/07 12:31 am - Pincher Creek, Canada
Hi MC I am just starting to search for information on banding. I have looked at Kr.Kuri's site and would appreciate more insight from you since you are there. What have you looked into regarding fills when you get home as well? Thanks cc
sunseeker37
on 5/21/07 7:12 am - Saskatoon, Canada
I have found an RN in my home town that is trained to do the fills so that is a big plus. I'm now 21 days post surgery and things are going well. I've lost 20 pounds so far. I am having a problem with two of the incisions not healing properly but otherwise feel pretty good. The amount of food that I can eat has decreased incredibly. I am still on the "mushy foods" stage of the post op diet so I'm mainly eating soup but surprisingly loving it and it fills me. The experience with Dr. Kuri was excellent. The facilities and the care that you receive in Mexico far surpass that of Canada or the US.
Eggface
on 5/12/07 3:11 pm - Sunny Southern, CA
Hello Treena, You might also want to wander over and check out the South of the Border Forum... http://obesityhelp.com/forums/south-of-the-border/ Hope this helps, ~Michelle OH Member Services
kapesland
on 6/6/07 12:43 pm - Calgary, Canada
My daughter and I went to Tijuana to have our Lap Band Surgery done. We chose Dr. Ortiz and his staff to take care of us. I can't say enough good about them. They were so caring and made you feel at ease right from the get go. My daughter was on the waiting list in Calgary for this surgery because of her high blood pressure (she is only 21), but they never seemed to get back to us, so we decided to go south. Our stay in Mexico was very good, we caught a flight on Sunday, had the surgery on Monday, went back to the hotel on Tuesday (went shopping that afternoon) and came back to Canada on Wednesday. It really was pretty easy -- but if you have physical work to do when you get home, plan to take a week off. Our incisions healed really well with the "glue" and now we are planning a return to Tijuana for a "fill" in a couple of weeks. Does anyone know anyone that can do a fill in Calgary -- I have heard some horror stories! Oh and by the way on the Friday when we got home, my daughter got a call from the obesity center here to book her for some sessions -- what are the odds?
Most Active