weight loss surgery in Red Deer alberta

tracey294
on 2/15/11 9:59 am, edited 2/15/11 10:11 am
Hi Everyone, I am new to this group, I have been reading many posts for the last few years and I have finally decided to join and make a post, First I will tell you a bit about myself and what I am doing, I have gotten the referal from my doctor for the office in Red Deer where dr farries is located, I am not sure which doctor I will be seeing at this time but I do know that they have made my chart etc... I am wondering if anyone has had surgery here and what doctor preformed the surgery, I was told that there is 3 doctors now doing the surgery in red deer I am not sure if this is true or who the other doctors are, anyway I am wondering if someone could tell me how there experience was for example, what do you need to do to get the surgery, did you smoke, if so what did they tell you I am trying to quit right now :) also any info that might help me along the way, thanks I cant wait to hear from you all, Thanks

Oh yah I forgot to say that I was refered on Febuary 3rd, 2011 I called the office today and they told me I would be contacted for my first consultation.
sheilapinkney
on 2/16/11 1:16 am - Calgary, Canada
Hi Tracey,

I am also a patient of Dr. Farries office.  I was referred in April or May of 2011 and my first consult was with Dr. Farried on November 30th.  And at the consultation, there were 2 new surgeon's sitting in as he was bringing them into his practice.  I have so far only seeing Dr. Farries as a doctor, but it is possible someone other than him will perform my surgery. 

Just so you know there is a zero tolerance for smoking at their clinic.  I luckily do not smoke, so I did not have to have that on top of trying to follow their pre-surgery diet.   I think that would be added pressure.

I had my first initial consultation on November 30 and 2 follow up appointments plus my Endoscope.  I am having my psych evaluation on March 2 and a follow up on March 8.  I am hoping to get my surgey date sooner after that.  I am having a VSG done. 

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me @ [email protected].  Where do you live?  I live in Calgary. 

Good Luck.

Sheila

Surgery: July 27  Surgery Weight: 245   Current Weight: 137 Total weight lost: 1112lbs
   AT GOAL!  WOOHOO!!!    

tracey294
on 2/16/11 6:25 am
Hi Sheila, I will send you a email soon, thanks for the heads up, I will email you now..lol
kriskj
on 2/18/11 9:42 am - Canada
Hello,
I too am having surgery by Dr Farries. Like was already said there is  no smoking allowed. If you are still a smoker you wont even make it in to see one of them. It is very true that there are now 3 surgeons, Dr Gregg and Dr Menezes have started WLS just recently. Once you go to your first appt you will, watch a video explaining the program, be seen by the physician and he weighs you, gets your height, figures out your BMI, listens to your chest and examines your stomach. You will start a new diet that day that consists of 1 cup of food 3x day. Diet guidelines are : no fast food, no burgers, no fries, no cheese, no chinese, no take out, nothing to drink bu****er, tea and coffee, no crystal light.... i think there is more but cant remember right now. Then you are to keep a food diary which is looked at, at every monthly check up. If you go to an appt without your journal or an incomplete journal, it is frowned upon. To complete the program you must lose 10% of your body weight before they will offer the surgery to you and you must be able to prove that you are able to stick to the small portions. You will also be booked in for a gastroscopy to make sure that your stomach is healthy enough for surgery, a psychiatry appoinment, blood work and ECG. I have been approved for surgery and am now just waiting for the phone call to tell me what day its going to happen!!! I also will answer any of your questions if you want!!

Since Nov '10        Since Surgery
tracey294
on 2/18/11 10:16 am
Yes I figured sooo about the smoking so I am on my way to being a non smoker now :) Please keep me posted as to how everything goes for you!!!
Susanlo
on 3/30/11 7:09 am - Fort McMurray, Canada
Hi, I'm wondering do have to be referred to Dr. Farries, or can you do that yourself. Is there a program to follow before seeing Dr. Farries (Weight wise). do you know if the Sleeve Plication is available through Dr. Farries?

Thanks for your info
kriskj
on 3/30/11 7:39 am - Canada
Yes, your family doctor has to refer you to Dr Farries. There is no program prior to your visit with him. Once you meet him you start his program. he does the sleeve lap band and rny. He also has 2 other surgeons working with him now so wait times are expected to decrease.
kriskj
on 2/19/11 2:39 am - Canada
kriskj
on 2/19/11 2:40 am - Canada

And they say too that if they suspect tthat you are still smoking they will preform a blood test to prove it..... i dont say this to scare you off just want you to know everything!! And found out today that i also now have to complete a sleep study!!

tracey294
on 2/19/11 5:25 am
ok thanks, I have been wanting to qui for some time now and this is definatley motivation, thanks again!! why a sleep test??
Most Active