Cholesterol

Kelly-AnneH
on 3/24/11 6:27 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
My nurse just called and she'd been talking to my dietitian. They're both delighted with my progress except one thing. Even though I've lost a chunk, have hugely improved my eating habits and added a regular exercise program, my cholesterol is UP a *****as gone up a little each year for several years - not a good trend) All I've managed to do is raise my too-low hdl a wee bit. She says I'm doing everything right, but my genes seem to be against me.

So - I'm to see my Dr about meds for it, which makes me sad. What are my chances of getting back off the meds post-surgery? (I'm assuming I get accepted for the VGS once I finish jumping through hoops)

Kelly-Anne

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

MelissaC71
on 3/24/11 6:44 am
 Better to take meds to control it than to have a heart attack. Some people come off cholesterol meds after surgery, some don't. I'm just waiting to go in for blood work to see how my cholesterol is. I take 40mg of Lipitor a night. I'd rather be healthier on it than in danger off of it.
Kelly-AnneH
on 3/24/11 2:57 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
In my head I know you're right. A friend told me years ago that lipitor destroys your liver (have no idea if he was right, but he scared me) so I've veered away from it every time my Dr has mentioned it. Both my nurse and my dietitian say I've done as much as I can with lifestyle changes, so I'll have to suck it up, take the pills and hope my friend was wrong.

Thanks for the plain talk. Sometimes it's exactly what I need.

Kelly-Anne

moxy 809
on 3/24/11 8:21 am
Hi Kelly-Anne,
I have been wondering about that myself.  Dr.Yalthos put me on Crestor when I saw her last month.  I am happy to take it if I need it but I really hope I won't need it forever.
Tige-Girl
on 3/24/11 10:18 am - Canada
What many people don't know is that our liver's naturally produce some cholesterol. It's great to keep track of your intake of Saturated Fats but sometimes no matter how closely you watch your diet, that DANG hereditary factor kicks in!! I've been on 10mg of lipitor for a couple of years now. Taking it is A LOT healthier than the alternative!! Chin up Kelly- Anne, you are not alone!!!
Kelly-AnneH
on 3/24/11 3:05 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I don't think it's what I eat. We do eat some chicken and fish, and small portions of cheese and eggs occasionally, but other than that and 1% milk there isn't a lot of ANY fat in our diet. (the amount the dietitian "limited" me to is easily half again what I was already eating)

Are there any side effects? I'm leaving for the Maritimes on Saturday, so figured I'd see my Dr when I get back and start on whatever he prescribes then. I really don't want to have a reaction away from home. (if a drug has a side effect, I generally get it. sigh)

Kelly-Anne

Tige-Girl
on 3/25/11 12:08 am - Canada
There's side potential effects to anything we take into our bods! (Even side effects to food!!LOL!!) Personally, I didn't notice anything. The best Medication resource you can ever use is a pharmacist. That is their specialty after all!! I go see my pharmicist about every medication I take. I find the "mom and pop' pharmacists often have more time than the Big Box but I know there are some hands on Big Box Pharmacists as well......Have a great time in the Maritimes!!!!
Most Active