Broth?

Kelly-AnneH
on 4/21/11 1:07 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I'm working hard on my 2 litres a day and although I'm managing, I'm getting a bit tired of SF sweet drinks. I'd love to have chicken broth sometimes as a change, but the version I find in my local store is super high in sodium. (I have high blood pressure, so need to limit sodium)

Do any of you know of a powder or concentrate that won't use up my sodium allowance so quickly? It needs to be chicken or vegetable - I can't digest anything with beef in. I'm fine with travelling a bit or ordering online.

Kelly-Anne

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Silk911
on 4/21/11 2:00 am
Hi Kelly-Anne,

The easiest thing in the world to do is make your own.... I'll include a simple recipe for ya...

One whole roasting chicken
Lots of water
Carrots, cut in big chunks
Onions, cut in big chunks
Celery, cut in big chunks
Oregano
Rosemary
Sage
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 - 3 Bay Leaves, whole

Use a slow cooker on LOW for best results.

Add all Veggies to slow cooker to cover the bottom. Place Chicken on top of veggies. Add enough water to cover chicken. Add all other spices. Cover and cook on low for about 6 hours. Chicken's internal temperature should reach 165 degrees in the breast and the thigh. You can remove the skin prior to cooking but the skin actually gives a lot of flavour to the broth.

Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the pot and set aside to cool. Strain out the bay leaves and the veggies and discard. What you have left is a wonderful Chicken broth that can be frozen or used right away... I tend to freeze it in ice cube trays and then put them in a zip lock in the freezer. Whenever I want something warm to drink, I pop a couple chunks into the Microwave... done!!

The best part of it is that you can use the Chicken in so many other recipes.... You can freeze it in small containers or use it right away.... I like that... 5 or 6 meals with one cooking time...

Melody

Most Active