Had VSG and feeling good!

Anukis
on 8/23/11 5:02 am - Edmonton, Canada
Hello,

I had my VSG on Tuesday, August 16th.  It's been such a journey get here, getting the approvals, doing the planning, what a ride - but was I ever happy to finally get into that operating room.

On August 5th, I was in a car accident - hit from behind by a young girl who thought her phone was more important than , oh, paying attention.  Have disability and chronic issues from previous car accident, so to say I wasn't happy is a slight understatement!   But... my doctor, the physical therapist and our Weight Wise Clinic all gave me the go ahead for surgery.  Then... on the gurney when the anesthesiologist intern came to check on me he had concerns due to neck injury (panic); he called out the head anesthesiologist (more panic).  They examined me a lot, asked a lot of questions about the accident, discussed it a lot, and finally said they would go ahead with surgery and treat me as if I had a broken neck (and described it but I don't remember a word).  Oh boy, I was so relieved.  The nurses came to get me and I started crying on the way into the surgical suite.  They thought I was upset, but I was so happy it was happening the floodgates just released!

I spent the first 24 hours in an observation room (2 nurses/4 patients) due to my recent injuries and sleep apnea.  I felt great and had no problems, not even any nausea.  (I heard one of the snotty male nurses say, "I don't know why she's even in here." Well, thanks, but I'll take the doctor's caution over your attitude! lol)

I spent the next night on the regular ward and got to start walking.  I was struggling with an IV post with wheels that must have come off of a Walmart cart, one-handed because I use a cane, and a nurse just walking by found me a chair and changed it right away.  Some are so great!

The leak test went well - but so odd being tilted on that machine!  Then they started sending food - lots - more than I could eat before surgery. lol

I left the next morning, so only 2 nights in the hospital.  The surgery pain is almost gone and I'm back to my normal  pains (sounds odd, but some of you will understand).  The only problem, sort of, was a tough BM on day 4, but knew how to deal with it.  Otherwise, I'm so happy things are going great so far.

I'm happy to be on the bench with everyone.  Good luck to those waiting!

jojo55
on 8/23/11 5:37 am - Canada
Congrats on your surgery. Sounds like you are doing great. I am scheduled for RNY surgery with Dr. Karmali on Sept. 27. My emotions seem to be running the gamut from pure joy and excitement that I am finally at this point to panic and anxiety about the surgery itself.

I have a lot of weight to lose and am confident that I have made the right choice for me. My family is very supportive but I am reluctant to tell others about having surgery for fear of being judged .

The hospital stay itself has been a bit of a worry for me but after reading your post I am feeling better about it. Thanks so much for that.

My other concern is the pre-op liquid diet. I have to do 3 weeks of Ensure meal replacement shakes and worry about being hungry and cheating on the diet. Hopefully this will not happen .

Congrats again on continuing your weight loss journey and save me a spot on that bench!
Mykmini
on 8/23/11 7:11 am
RNY on 03/15/12
 I am so sorry for the accident but glad your surgery went well!!

Jojo- I have my gastroscopy on the same day as your surgery. I will be thinking of you!! 
I am on a mostly liquid diet, 2 shakes and 1 meal of 1 cup of food a day and I am somewhat hungry. I think it is mostly head hunger. I find if I keep myself busy and drink lots of water (and an occasional crystal light) I am okay. This is coming from someone who is ALWAYS hungry. You can do this!!

Referral Date- Feb. 3, 2011  1st consultation booked- May 2011
Approved for surgery-Oct 2011
Surgery Date- March 15, 2012

Hw-321 Cw-305.8

Anukis
on 8/23/11 9:32 am, edited 8/23/11 9:32 am - Edmonton, Canada
Thanks Mykmini!

Thank Jojo.  I understand your concern about telling others; I've only told a few and don't plan to tell many others.  I was also on a 3 week liquid diet.  The 3rd day was the worst for me for head hunger, but I was never really hungy (that surprised me).  But I can't chew gum and missed chewing.  :(
You must be so excited with your surgery coming up!  If you'd like, PM me and I'll give you some tips for what to take to the hospital or anything else.  Good luck!

Tige-Girl
on 8/24/11 3:08 pm - Canada
Congrats on your surgery!! Please keep posting your progress for me to follow. I had an appt with Dr. Birch in the end of july and he wanted to give me more "thinking" time. I have an appt in Sept to give him my decision as to band vs. VSG. I'm going for the VSG so will be very interested in following your story/experience as well as others. Thanks for sharing!!:) 
Most Active