Hair Loss and vitamins

newmom35
on 9/26/11 1:42 pm - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 12/19/12
Hi everyone, 
I am a  little worried about the hair loss that can happen as a result of WLS. Mostly because I have thin hair to begin with. Should I be taking certain vitamins before surgery to maybe prevent or lessen the hair loss. I read about biotin and zinc. Has anybody tried that?
Any advice?

Thanks!

(I am only 1 month out from the first consultation appt. so my surgery could be a year or more away)

Surgery Dec. 19/12
HW - 348lbs
   SW 316lbs               

kriskj
on 9/26/11 4:39 pm - Canada
I was also told to take silica! Good luck!
   Since Nov '10        Since Surgery
Tige-Girl
on 9/27/11 12:26 am - Canada
I asked this specific question in my preoperative class. The NUT told me that hair loss has nothing to do with vitamin intake. She told the class that the hairloss was proven to be directly related to protein deficiency. She REALLY emphasized the importance of getting your proteins in first in the post op period and from there on.....Hairloss is an indication of protein deficiency and by the time it happens you are VERY defient (She said).....So, hope this helps. I asked her if taking any sort of supplement, Vitamin, mineral, element pre-op would help and she said NO. Only protein intake post op  will prevent hair loss...........
Coopers_mom
on 9/27/11 4:43 am - Canada

Your hormones change as you lose weight, they have a lot to do with hair loss.  It happens a lot with pregnant women who lose their hair after they give birth.  I tried biotin, fancy shampoos (stupid expensive), keeping my protein up, vitamins... etc... I still lost a lot of hair, it just happens.

I have also heard the stress of the surgery and the anesthetic also contribute to hair loss.

FDL Abdominoplasty, Monsplasty, MR, Lipo to Flanks: August 18, 2011

Canadian-eh
on 9/27/11 4:47 am - Canada
Most everybody I know has loss hair...some significant, some not. A lot (including myself) ended up cutting the hair...now I love it :)

Brenda
 Highest/Surgery/Current/1st Goal/2nd Goal
 278          241         163    160          150
ONEDERLAND  September 27, 2009    

ICanada

Chance22
on 9/28/11 4:22 am - Canada
Often people who have any surgery will experience hair loss, the anesthesia causes a lot of damage at a cellular level and your hair is effected.

Keep your protein up, take your vitamins, use nioxin shampoo... but in the end, you either will or wont lose some hair.

I did the same as the wonderful and gorgeous, Brenda. I cut it off and it is a lot healthier after cutting away most of the damaged hair.

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin      
Highest Weight: 242 lbs 1st Clinic visit: 236.8lbs
Weight at Surgery: 193.1 Surgery Date: May 18, 2011 Current Weight: 134.4 lbs

newmom35
on 9/28/11 2:56 pm - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 12/19/12
Thank you everyone for the responses and great advice.  
Hopefully I will be able to get in all my protein when the time comes. I will also keep my eyes open for cute shorter hair styles!
Thanks again!

Surgery Dec. 19/12
HW - 348lbs
   SW 316lbs               

Most Active