pre-op liquid diet

moxy 809
on 11/24/11 5:52 am
These glucerna drinks are just nasty!  I am allowed to mix them with a little skim milk so that is helping.  But it has been a week and I have only lost a couple of pounds.  Those of you who did a liquid diet did you lose a lot of weight?
Tige-Girl
on 11/24/11 11:38 am - Canada
Here's some encouragement to pinch your nose!! I DIDN"T need the pre-op liquid diet but wonder if I should have had it. They lacerated my liver with the retractor and that's really slowing my recovery! I'm 9 days post op and just starting to feel like I might survive the surgery. I think it's the liver business that's causing most of the discomfort ! Not getting anywhere near my protein goals but am pushing the fluids......I am also sick of the protein shakes but can start on the mushies in 5 more days! Good luck Christa Pinch and Chug!!!
moxy 809
on 11/25/11 10:28 pm
Oh no! How long does it take for the liver to heal from that?  That sounds a little scary for sure.  I am doing a bit better with the shakes but its not showing on the scale.  Maybe my liver is still shrinking though?  Hope you are feeling better soon. 
Heatherde
on 11/24/11 7:28 pm
I am on day five of my pre-op diet and feel like my tongue is coated in the stuff (ensure). No mater how much I drink water or brush my teeth I can't get the taste out of my mouth. Surgery date Dec. 6, 2011. When is yours?

Heather
moxy 809
on 11/25/11 10:17 pm
The glucerna has a nasty aftertaste too.  My surgery is Nov 30. Its really coming up fast!
lmfgrp
on 11/25/11 2:02 pm - Canada
I had the liquid diet, and lost very little.  I also had a reaction to all the shakes, had major diarhea, and cramping.......they switched me to the 1200 calorie food diet.  That worked better.  I only lost 7 pounds by my surgery date, they still went ahead.........I was so stressed about the weight and if they would cancel.  I followed the calorie restrictions, but my body was sooooo screwed up from the shakes.......even now if I have one, I get stomach cramping and diarhea............even with all that, it was worth it!!
moxy 809
on 11/25/11 10:23 pm
Sounds like those shakes just did not agree with you at all.  I'm actually starting to get used to them a bit.  But my blood sugars are harder to control for some reason and I'm still not losing much weight.  I am also using my treadmill 30min/day.  I don't know what else I can do.  I am worried they will cancel the surgery. 
lmfgrp
on 11/26/11 1:19 am - Canada
I was super worried about that too, but there was no talk of it as long as I didn't gain!  unless you count me talking about it when they wheeled me into surgery, had a panic attack and wanted to get up and walk out..........hyperventalating and all.........
Heatherde
on 11/26/11 6:35 am
I am having a super hard time today. I am grumpy and I keep thinking of food. I haven't had any yet and I don't plan on it but I am feeling a lot less strong then I did a few days ago. Grrrr I am a Bear! I am also having some heart burn type symptoms. Want to call the clinic to get advise but don't want to do something that could change my surgery date. Trying to stay sane. I haven't read any posts about difficulty with pre op liquid diets from anyone else. Am I just weird?
Sandra52
on 11/27/11 12:03 pm
I'm having a hard time with the pre op liquid diet too.  My bad day was today.  I feel like I'm starving and am really cranky.  I don't seem to have much energy either.  This is a really hard thing to do.  Does anyone know the `science` behind liquids only?  Is there a reason we can't have a salad with no fat dressing or a splash of vinegar?  It would be nice to crunch something! 
Most Active