Approved Beverages

Mel_Be_Ti
on 1/7/12 4:23 pm
Hi everyone,

I haven't started my one cup diet yet because my first appointment is Tuesday.  I know I should wait until after my appointment to ask this question but is water the only beverage I can have?

I am okay with dropping pop and juice.
I heard coffee and tea were out of the question as well. Is that true?

Too bad my parents gave me a Tassimo for Xmas...

Thanks 
uner
on 1/8/12 2:16 am - Canada
Water is pretty much the only thing you can have. The nurse told me that I should not have any juice, pop ( diet or non), no crystal lite, no artificially sweetened drinks and no caffeine. She said Milk was okay in moderation like 1 or 2 glasses a day but to make sure it was skim.

I haven't found it too hard because I don't drink much pop but I did just buy 4 boxes of crystal lite for water bottles before my appt. It's been sitting in the cupboard. As for the coffee, perhaps you could do decaffeinated? I didn't ask about that though. I would imagine 1 cup in the am would be okay.

Good luck with your appt!  Think of all the possible questions you may have because I have a million now that I have already had my first appt. I don't have an appt with the dietician until Feb14th.

Some of the questions I had were If I could have yogurt etc that used artificial sweeteners, or protein powders that contained artificial sweeteners and was an occasional glass of wine ok.  I am not sure about the reasoning about the artificial sweeteners but I plan on asking more questions when I go back.

Best of Luck to you and I hope that has helped a bit.

Mel_Be_Ti
on 1/9/12 11:18 am
Thank you very much for the info.  Sadly I am addicted to Coke. I drink it a lot however every once in a while I give it up and after a few days I don't crave it anymore.  Thankfully I love water and prefer to drink it plain without flavouring.   But I am in love with Starbucks and I will miss it. 

I am not sure what I will do when going for "coffee" with friends. 

Thank you very much for the well wishes. I will write down a few questions before i go and see if i can find out the answer to whether we can have yogurt with artifical sweeteners.
newmom35
on 1/8/12 8:03 am - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 12/19/12
Hi
Skim milk, DECAF coffee or tea, Herbal teas.

Try to avoid artifical sweeteners because they can stimulate your appetite.

I know its hard because alot of things have artifical sweeteners, But whatever helps you to drink you water, get your protein in. I guess if you have a choice put something without the sweeteners.

I drink alot of herbal teas. They have so many different kinds out there now.

Surgery Dec. 19/12
HW - 348lbs
   SW 316lbs               

Mel_Be_Ti
on 1/9/12 11:23 am
Hi.  Oh that is great if we can have herbal teas.  i would want to put sugar in even decaf coffee so I'll probably have to stay away from that but at least herbal teas are approved.

My parents bought me a tassimo for Christmas and my partner's parents bought us a Keurig which is disappointing that I won't be able to have coffee but I see that both machines offer herbal teas so I will still get to play with new toys! ha ha 
Most Active