1st Appointment at the red deer clinic!!!

l_fex
on 3/24/12 11:30 am - Calgary, Canada
 I got the call yesterday and my initial appointment is booked for April 12th @ 1:00pm,  I'm really excited my journey is beginning.  

Any words of advice? what should I expect?

Thanks!!
Mel_Be_Ti
on 3/25/12 12:33 pm
Congratulations!  You should expect to be weighed and measured. You will be sent some paperwork in the mail to fill out and bring in.  The nurse will go over the paperwork with you and ask you some more questions.  At the appointment you will be given forms for blood work.  Be prepared that this blood work requires you to fast for 12 hours, they take your blood, make you drink a glucose drink, wait two hours at the clinic and then take your blood again.   I was at the blood clinic for three hours and wasn't told I would have to be t there for that long.

The nurse will tell you about the one cup diet. What you can eat and can't eat.

After this appointment you will be booked for an appointment to meet the surgeon.  Be prepared that when you see him you will be asked to reveal your stomach for him to check you out.  I found this really uncomfortable but thankfully it was really quick. He will just press on your stoma*****ertain areas.

Best of luck.  Be honest with yourself when answering the questions and don't be upset with what the scale says now because it will go down.  Congrats.

Oh and expect that your first appointment is about an hour long and your appointment with the surgeon might be a few hours long as you will watch a video with a group of people.

There is a lot of great support.  You should come to the monthly weight loss surgery support group meetings. There are pre-op and post-op patients there.  We meet the third Wednesday of the month in the auditorium at the hospital.

Take care.

Mel....if you are on fb there is a group for Red Deer...look me up Mel Delburne  and I can add you
l_fex
on 3/26/12 11:25 am - Calgary, Canada
 Thanks Mel,

I'm going to school and things are a little tight for my schedule, do I have to know a date for my second appointment at the this time?  pr do they just give me one.. How much weight are you required to loose on the diet before surgery?  I did add you to my facebook.

Thanks again!!
Mel_Be_Ti
on 3/26/12 12:44 pm
Hi!  I accepted your friend request and I'll add you to the group.  I think they will give you the date for your second appointment when you go to your first appointment.    You will be required to lose 10 percent of your body weight before surgery but the surgeon might ask you to lose a little bit more.
You are welcome.

Mel
knorthenlyte
on 3/31/12 12:15 pm - Canada
That is so exciting!  I am new to the forums and was wondering if the clinic in Red Deer is private pay or covered by AB Health care?  I am interested in the mini gastric bypass.  Please keep us posted on your progress!  :)
MrsGreness
on 4/17/12 7:18 am - Canada
 Red deer is covered by Alberta health care. I have never heard of the mini bypass. I will have to google it. In red deer the 3 options are sleeve, rny, and lap band
Most Active