Hospital stay - to bring or not to bring, that is the question

mani_heart
on 2/21/13 2:53 pm
RNY on 03/18/13

Those that have already had the surgery, what do you recommend taking with you for the 5 day stay in the hospital?  

What did you take with you that didn't even make it out of the bag ?  What did you forget that you wish you would have brought with you ?  I am trying to be most prepared as I will be in hospital by myself because husband will be home with the kids.

Gizzys
on 2/22/13 12:02 am - Canada

Hello,

Chapstick, slippers, ebook/magazines, and a robe were the things I found very useful to have with me at the hospital.  I also played the apps on my iphone when I was bored.  Good luck!

Giselle

I'm 5 ft 7.5 inches tall... 
 "The best way to predict your future is to create it."                   

~ Unknown       

Kelly-AnneH
on 2/22/13 1:11 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
2piece jammies, toothbrush & paste, hairbrush, slippers you don't need to bend to put on, robe, shampoo, antiperspirant, fresh knickers for the trip home, iPhone, iPad, charger, small stuffed rabbit, something to read/puzzle book, knitting. (I always have knitting)

Keep it to a SMALL carry-on with wheels. Your time will mostly be spent sleeping, walking and sipping - you won't be needing to have everything you own.

I found my iPad invaluable for translating whatever I needed to say to the nurses into Spanish. I also read and played crypto quiz on it. I could have skyped as well (hospital had wifi) but just did lots of texting.

I didn't pick up my knitting a single time. Snicker if you like at my stuffy - I found it a great comfort.

I wish I's had biotene spray - my mouth was super dry after surgery. Oral swabs would also have helped. Once I was allowed to swallow I was fine.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Keelan
on 2/22/13 6:20 am

The most common things I used were shampoo, body wash, underarm deodorant, tooth paste and toothbrush, hairbrush and elastics to pin my hair back. If you still have a monthly cycle bring whatever it is you use. I finished my cycle 3 days before surgery and started again the 2nd day after surgery. Cell phone and slippers and chap stick.

I used the hospital gown as they were easier for my incisions to be checked by every nurse who walked through the door and it also helped me not to bend. Flip flops for the shower as you don't want to catch anything like plantars wart from the showers. All kinds of germs linger in the showers.

Mostly it was sleep, walk, sip liquid and repeat all day.

Kee.

HW:274  SW:238  CW: 150.0  1St goal: 199.8  2nd goal:174 (100 pound lost)
My Persoanl Goal: (HIgh)150 (Low)140

1st goal acheived December 27th/2010. 1 week after my 3rd month surgery anniversary.
2nd goal acheived June 4th/2011. 2 weeks after my 8th Month Surgiversary

Gall Bladder surgery April 12,2012

You can either believe it will happen.....or believe it won't.  Both are self fulfilled prophesies. For Me it has happened.  My Surgery was September 21/2010

NiceyDoodle
on 3/1/13 1:51 am - Calgary, Canada
VSG on 02/19/13
I am glad I had G2 gatorade. I was a water drinker before surgery, but after I can't stand it. Breaks my heart.

A small firm pillow push up against my tummy while sleeping felt good.

mtrai
on 3/1/13 11:19 am

Bring earplugs! It is so noisy and you will just want to sleep!

They have almost everything else you need, and your visit will be short.

Good luck!

~mtrai

Surgery VSG Oct.8 2010. 23pds lost pre-op. I am 5'6" tall. Feeling amazing!      
Calla Lily
on 3/2/13 2:14 pm
RNY on 01/23/12

Chapstick for sure! My lips were sooo dry! I brought pj's but didn't wear them as I just stayed in the hospital gowns. 

RNY 01/23/12, HW 265, CW 115, Height 5'6"

irish_mysts
on 3/3/13 2:48 pm - Canada
My must have (in addition to the obvious toiletries) is an eye mask. Even though I always request a private room, it's never guaranteed. My roommates always seem to have the doctors who come in at 6 am, turn on all the lights and then neglect to turn them off.
Ear plugs used to be on my must have list, until I was roomed with a lady who had attempted murder/suicide. I wanted to be able to hear when she was moving around. Additionally, I was once told by a nurse that they were frowned on as they could prevent you from hearing vital loud speaker info (code black anyone?) I leave the ear plugs at home, but make sure I bring earbuds so that if I need to block out sounds I can, without (largely) compromising my ability to hear what is happening around me if needed.

Most Active