"Doing too Well" How do they come to that conclusion at WW?

MelanieL
on 1/6/14 3:58 am - Edmonton, Canada

Just wondering how this conclusion is drawn for a denial of surgery?  Lol trying to make sure I don't fall into that hole and get denied.

(deactivated member)
on 1/6/14 11:08 pm - Edmonton, Canada

I believe the post you are referring to is a situation where after taking all the weight wise classes and doing all the recommendations, she no longer met the eligibility of BMI over 35 with two co-morbidities or a BMI of 40+. The benefits from surgery no longer out weighed the risks of having it.

MelanieL
on 1/6/14 11:17 pm - Edmonton, Canada

Thanks Tamantha.  That is very helpful.

Mika123
on 1/7/14 11:48 am

If you start at a BMI of 35 and lose the required 10% you no longer  have a BMI over 35. Are you then not able to qualify?

(deactivated member)
on 1/7/14 12:11 pm - Edmonton, Canada

I'm with the Edmonton clinic and I have never had them say to me that I needed to lose 10% in order to have surgery. I got the impression that they need to see that I am making an effort, but there was no number discussed, so I think it is a good question to ask when you go to the Red Deer clinic. 

Also, part of that is having a minimum of two morbidities, like high blood pressure, arthritis, or diabetes, etc; assessing if the surgery is for you, is part of the process. If the doctor thinks that surgery is an option that will improve your health, they will recommend it. 

That being said, my understanding is that the standards are to qualify for a referral to the clinic, not for the actual surgery.

Good luck.

Most Active