medical expense claim for taxes

Royalfreedom
on 1/25/15 11:27 pm
VSG on 06/23/14

I had my surgery in Mexico & my family Doc was not pleased with me. I would not dream of asking him for a letter stating that the surgery was necessary. My accountant said that I could submit my receipts & claim the expense, but revenue Canada may reassess after several years and ask for money back plus interest.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Wishing you a healthy day,

Royalfreedom

jtt
on 3/3/15 3:44 am
with

Hi Royalfreedom,

I had my surgery in Mexico in 2013.  The hospital there did not give me a break-down in costs because I did not pay them directly.  I paid a company which organized the entire trip (Mexico Bariatric Center).  This company was not able to get the hospital to give me a break-down in costs (when I say breakdown I mean anesthetist's fee, surgeon's fee, hospital's fee, etc).  This was after several times communicating after the surgery with both MBC and the hospital directly with a Spanish-speaking friend.  I tried multiple times to submit what the hospital gave me to Alberta Health and they rejected it each time.  

Finally, I accepted it and claimed it on my 2013 tax return (which you do in 2014).  In June 2014 I received a letter from the Canada Revenue Agency asking for documentation.  I sent them what I had.  In December 2014 I received a letter stating they had accepted my medical expenses.  

Be aware you cannot claim any transportation expenses like flights, only the cost of the surgery.  Good luck.

Most Active