Would love some help!

kaya
on 5/17/06 2:11 pm - Surrey, Canada
Hi everyone, I just found this website and I am very glad to have found it! I am desperately trying to find anyone who performs Lap Band surgury in Vancouver or Surrey or even British Columbia as a whole! I have been searching like crazy on the internet and getting no where. I have been talking with a place in Toronto and will go there if I have to but it just seems crazy that such a big town like Vancouver wouldn't have somewhere that does the surgery. Also I am reading on here all sorts of people talking about going to Mexico to get procedures done. I am very new to this whole thing and am wondering if anyone can tell me why they do that? Is it a lot cheaper there or something? The people in Toronto charge $15000. Please if anyone can help me with some information I would be really thankful. Email me at [email protected] or reply on this forum. THanks so much!!
dogqueen_3
on 5/18/06 1:26 pm - Kelowna, Canada
I had my RNY surgery done by Dr. Rumbaut in Monterrey Mexico. I choose this route as I didn't want to went several years for my surgery. The cost was $14,500 US ($36,000 US in the states) The lapband is $10,000 US in Mexico Dr. Rumbaut has done over 4500 lapbands. Dr. Amson in Victoria does lapbands but I don't know what his wait time is. You have to pay for it yourself as it is not covered by MSP Hopes this helps Vicki E
kaya
on 5/18/06 4:43 pm - Surrey, Canada
Hey Vicki, Thanks for the reply. So you went to Mexico and it cost $14500US? Did you have to pay this full amount out of your pocket? Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to get my head around what is the best way to go about this. So far I have found that Dr Amson in Victoria makes you wait around a year as he puts you on diet plans etc and monitors you beforehand. However I have found a doctor in Surrey that does it for under $13000 and the wait time is 3-4 months. The Toronto doctor is $15000 but gets you in for the surgery in 4-6 weeks. So I guess I am just interested to know what all the talk of long wait times is about. Is that just if you are waiting to have the cost of the surgery funded by some sort of provincial medical? Thanks again for all your help. -Kirsty
dogqueen_3
on 5/19/06 6:20 am - Kelowna, Canada
Hi again Kristy I paid the full amt myself but it can be claimed in your incomw tax under medical. This includes hotel, flight and food as well as the surgery. The lap band isn't funded by MSP. This is your own responsibility. I don't know why the wait tmes for lapband is so long. Dr. Amson is well known for long wait periods. The weight time in Monterrey is approx. 3-4 weeks. May I ask why you have chosen the lapband over the RNY? Vicki E
kaya
on 5/21/06 7:57 am - Surrey, Canada
Hi Vicki, I chose the lapband because I love the fact that it is not very invasive on the body and that it is fully reversible. My mom knows some people back home in Australia (it is very big over there), that have had it done and had great results. I am only 24 and will probably be wanting kids within the next few years so I like that you can just deflate it and keep it in if you are pregnant. At this stage I think I am probably going to get it done by Dr Leung in Surrey. He charges $12,800 which by all acounts is pretty cheap and basically I should be able to get in to get it done maybe around September. I am going for a few different tests that they ask you to go for and then hopefully will go for a consultation and get a date set then. I think it is crazy that it isn't easier to find information on these surgery's and that more Doctors dont provide the service. When I first started looking I felt like I was on some sort of treasure hunt to find even the smallest bit of information and finding a Doctor is like finding a needle in a haystack! I am still researching but I am happy so far with Dr Leung mainly because I am from Surrey so I would love to get it done locally and also the price seems good. I am paying out of my own pocket of course so price does matter. Thanks again for the reply, Kirsty
auntlorlee
on 5/29/06 5:20 am - Bellingham, WA
Just an FYI, the RNY has no effect on your pregnancy. Your baby won't be deprived of nutrition or anything. Lori
surreygirl
on 7/26/06 3:39 am - surrey, Canada
Hi Vicki! I'm also from Surrey and I've been looking for a doctor in BC who does this procedure FOREVER. I finally saw your post and will look up Dr. Leung's number and call him today. Thank you so much!!!!
Most Active