need help with WLS

bman78
on 6/2/06 3:11 am - Burnaby, Canada
Hi everybody, I wanted to introduce myself on here and am hoping that somebody can guide me on how to get this surgery done. Also how to get support from MSP, or maybe even some sort of financing plan. I was wondeirng if you could help me with the anything to do with this surgery. I'm so lost on what avenue to take and where I begin, don't even know where to go to find out about coverage. I am currently in the morbidly obese category with a BMI of nearly 51. I have tried so many different diets, pills and just can't seem to lose weight. Last year I developed sleep apnea which led to a car accident as I feel asleep at the wheel. Earlier this year, the doctor told me that my cholesterol was too high. The kicker is that I'm only 27. Add to that years of back pain, leg/hip pain. The problem is that none of this is documented. I would just live through the pain knowing it was because of my weight. I seriously believe that I'm going through a bout of depression now. It's been about 6 months, and I just don't like to come out of my room or mingle with people. My mind is constantly consumed with this. I'm shying away from any place where there's going to be a lot of people. Could you please help me out in any way possible for some information. Thank you.
kaya
on 6/2/06 7:34 am - Surrey, Canada
Hi Bobby, Email me at [email protected] I would love to chat on MSN or email and try to give you a hand ok! - Kirsty
CupidsKiss
on 6/5/06 4:19 am - comox, Canada
Roux-En-Y gastric bypass is covered by your BC MSP. VBG are also covered although few a=of them are preformed in BC anymore (I believe Dr Lai was the last one doing them). Lap band are done in BC but they are not covered by you BC Med and will cost you about 14,000. In order for you to see a Bariatric surgeon you will require a referral from your PCP. The average wait for a consult is now a year and one to two years wait for surgery after that consultation based on your compliance with the program and co-morbitites. It is not unsusal as a moribdly obese person to segregate yourself. That is why it is particularily hard to get ourselves to attend our first WLS support group meetings. Once you have the first couple under your belt it becomes much easier and you learn that we all have so mu*****ommon. There are a couple of good groups over there on the mainland. If you want more info you can email me or get the info out of my WLS journal that I keep online. Good luck with your journey. It is an awesome undertaking that I would do all over again evewn considering all the ups and downs! Diana J Courtenay http://cupidskiss1.homestead.com/DianasWLS.html
brydiec
on 6/16/06 1:27 pm - Kelowna, Canada
RNY on 08/16/06 with
Hi Bobby, I just wanted to let you know that I know exactly how you feel . When I read your post I thought I was reading something that I had posted because it is so similiar to what I am going through. I am 26 years old and my BMI is already at 55. I have severe depression and have begun spending most of my time is my room and don't go out unless I absolutely have to. I have started looking into WLS and am close to a decision on going to Mexico to see Dr Joya for RNY surgery. If you go to the BC medical website you can search around for information on coverage. I am pretty sure that your first step to try and get approved for medical coverage is to get your GP to send in an assessment or referal. If you ever want to just chat or need someone to talk to please email me at [email protected] I understand what you are going through and I know it really helps to talk. Take care, Brydie
Most Active