What do you think about...

brydiec
on 10/22/06 6:57 am - Kelowna, Canada
RNY on 08/16/06 with
Hey everyone! I am doing a project for my consumer behaviour class on what the perceptions or attitudes are of weight loss surgey before a patient does any research on the subject. I was hoping you all could offer a little bit of feedback on this subject by letting me know what your opinions or attitudes were towards weight loss surgery and medical tourism before you had done any formal research on either of them. I would really apreciate it! Thanks! 1. What were your initial perceptions about weight loss surgery before doing any research on it? What did you know about it before doing formal research? 2. If you were to see or watch an advertisement for weight loss surgeries what would be the most effective way to get your attention or to motivate you to do research on weight loss surgery: Ads that play on fear such as visuals that show the effects of obesity (similar to the visuals on cigarette packages) OR Ads that play on emotions from the negative effects of obesity or the positive effects of weight loss surgery OR Ads that show the positive effects of weight loss surgery such as increased confidence, the ability to do things that people take advantage of as a slimmer person, better health, more appealing appearance, 3. What perceptions or attitudes do you have about surgery in another country? 4. What do you think is the worse thing about being overweight? 5. What made you finally decide to have weight loss surgery? 6. If you have had weight loss surgery in another country what were the major factors that made you make that decision? Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out with this!
Sim W.
on 10/25/06 2:45 am - Vancouver, Canada
Hi Brydie, Here are my answers to questions: 1. positive perception- I had seen it advertised on TV, saw how celebrities had the surgery and how great they looked. I knew the surgery shrunk your stomach but I did not know how and that there were several types of surgery available. 2. ads that show the positive effects of weight loss surgery. 3. easier to get done in the United States, much less of a wait time but also that anyone can get it done if they have the money. I feel leary towards going to Mexico- feel a little scared and unsure of the quality even though many people who have gone there have reported how professional and clean the facilities are. 4. not having much energy or stamina to do things-feel old even though I am in my 40's! 5. have tried so many diets and abused my body for over 20 years by going up and down with my weight. I have come to the realization that I love to eat and portion control and will power is my weakness so I am hoping that the surgery will be the tool I need to put me in the right path this time and hopefully I can keep it off, I know it won't be easy and I know it is not an easy way out, I just need to do something drastic to get this weight off permanently. 6. thorough pre tests done beforehand, being close to home, doctor takes the time to talk and discuss everything, and having a lower price for the surgery would all be motivators. Hope that is helpful. You may want to post these questions on Dr. Amson's website too at victoriabariatricsurgery.com as there are a lot of people *****ad it and it is quite busy. Good luck, Sim from Vancouver
Most Active