Looking for a little guidance...

Demo1378
on 10/24/06 11:45 pm - Canada
I am a 28 year old mom of 2 girls and of course overweight. I saw an ariticle in the "Women's World" of a young lady that had "lap band surgury". I can't get it out of my mind since then. I saw my GP yesterday for another reason and asked him if he thought I would be a good canidate because I am considered obiese ( 300 lbs). He said that he had a few patients that had the gastic bypass but had heard nothing about the lap band. Anyway he told me the next time I was in to see him to bring some names of doctors and he would refer me. So...I have searched the board and found the few names and plan to get the ball rolling! I was wondering where you go from here? I see there are quite a few of you that have had "tests" done; what kind of tests need to be done. I really want to be around to see my children grow up Any responce is greatly appreciated Rebecca in the Kootenays
Sim W.
on 10/25/06 3:08 am - Vancouver, Canada
Dear Rebecca, After you get a referral from your family doctor and see the surgeon, they will go into detail about the surgery and what needs to be done. Not everyone needs the same tests done. For example I saw a cardiologist, psychologist, a scope, had blood work, and saw a dietician/nutritionist, an ultrasound on my heart and stomach and now they are sending me for a sleep apnea consultation. Take a look at some other previous posts to read specific details of others who have had tests done. After you meet with the surgeon, he/she will ask lots of questions about your family history, fill out a questionnaire, etc to find out about your health, do you take meds? etc. then they will determine what tests you will need. Go prepared and don't be afraid to ask lots of questions. You may want to bring someone with you for support. I know i was really nervous when I went. My suggestion is to do your homework about the types of surgeries, read some books, go to some support group meetings, talk to people who have had the surgery before you decide which way to go before you pick the type of surgery to make sure you make an informed decision. I have been researching and thinking for over 2 years now. Some surgeons will not do lap band and some will. My surgeon Dr. Meneghetti will not do the lap band surgery for eg. while Dr. Amson will. There are 2 other doctors who will do the lap band- Dr. Lai I think and Dr. Leung- you have to pay money as you are probably aware. One is in Delta and the other is in Surrey. ( I hope this is correct?) Friends on the forum, help out if you can. Is there Dr. Woodhead too? Can't remember. The good news is you do not have to wait too long when you are paying. Also go on victoriabariatricsurgery.com.-Dr. Amson's website. It is really active/busy and lots of people have tons of experience and sound advice to give. Check it out if you haven't already. Good luck and keep in touch. Sim from Vancouver
(deactivated member)
on 10/25/06 11:55 pm - Victoria, Canada
Hello Rebecca I agree with Sim and yes I think there is a Dr Woodhead too. Do lots of research on all of the doctors mentioned...talk to people who are patients of theirs. And as my endocronologist mentioned to me last week...you can chose to place your bet on just one horse or on all the horses. Sorry that seems kinda cryptic. LOL What I mean is you might want to be referred to more than one surgeon...depending on your situation and needs. I hope you succeed in your quest for whatever type of WLS you decide on. Janice
wyldangel
on 11/6/06 3:20 pm - surrey, Canada
Hi Janice do u have dr woodheads website addy?
(deactivated member)
on 11/6/06 10:32 pm - Victoria, Canada
Hi Linda, I don't think he has a website. I googled him but nothing immediate came up for him. Janice
lmsmith
on 10/26/06 2:28 am - Burnaby, Canada
I think Dr Woodhead is doing the lap band. You realize that the lap band is not covered by BC Medical, while RNY is? THis means you have to pay out of your pocket for the entire surgery as well as future fills, etc. I think the cost is around 12-15000.00. Leanne
Most Active