Any info on abdominalplasty?

kc79
on 5/10/11 1:56 pm
I am looking for any info on abdominalplasty in bc? any general surgens? costs here vs other counties ( costa rica, mexico) any MSP coverage? Thank you
lizdietz
on 5/14/11 12:10 am - Vancouver BC, Canada
My primary care doctor referred me to a plastic surgeon.  MSP only pays to have the pannus removed. They do not pay for anything else.   I asked the surgeon if she would be able to do the adomiplasty at the same time as removing the pannus and was told yes.  It would cost approx. $3K to $4K. 
The plastic surgeon would do the surgery, charge MSP for the pannus and charge me for the adomiplasty.  I think you have to have a certain BMI before you can get MSP to pay for the pannus removal.
I would suggest going to your doctor and getting a referral to a plastic surgeon.  It could take months to get the appt and it doesn't cost you anything.  The plastic surgeon will let you know what they charge and when would be the best time in your WLS journey to have the surgery.
I think OH lists some out of country plastic surgeons if you want to look at their surgeon's list and check their websites. 

Laney B.
on 5/25/11 4:48 pm
 could you please give the info on the plastic surgeon that your doc referred you to? i've already asked my doc about all this and he's clueless.... and what's the difference between an abdominoplasty and a tummy tuck? thanks for any info you can give me!!

cheers
elaine
raingal
on 6/10/11 9:35 am - Surrey, Canada
There's no difference between abdominoplasty and tummy tuck.  The first is the medical terminology and the second is the common term.
Dr. Benjamin Gelfant in Vancouver is just the best, but he is expensive.  He's got a wonderful bedside manner and does top work.  I had abdominoplasty in 2006 and it cost $10,000 at that time.  If you can get some it paid for by MSP that would be great.
There is a lot of information on his website, even if you want to look for a less expensive surgeon.  Check out:
http://gelfant.com/surgical-procedures/body-contour/abdominp lasty/
-raingal
Banded 6/17/2008
Band-to-sleeve revision 6/17/2011 - Dr. Jaime Ponce de Leon

Most Active