Medications Post-op?

healthbound
on 9/18/11 10:29 am - BC, Canada
Hey everyone,

I'm wondering about how my body will absorb medication after surgery.  I take Effexor and want to continue taking it after surgery (since it's been very helpful for me).  Has anyone had any problems with continuing necessary medications after surgery?

bamf
on 9/18/11 12:21 pm - Burnaby, BC, Canada
The first couple of weeks need to be liquid, chewable, or disolvable under your tongue.  Some can be crushed.  Nooshin will give you a list of what you will need and guide you through the process, depending on your needs,  All aspirin products must be stopped 14 days before surgery, and all vitamins and herbals, including herbal teas, must be stopped 10 days before surgery.  There are a few other restrictions too, but you will receive most of your instructions at your pre-op appointment at Richmond Hospital, and the rest from Nooshin.
Hope this helps, Barb
jaynak
on 9/19/11 4:14 am - Canada
Hi, I take Wellbutrin every day and when I saw Dr. Sidhu I asked him about continuing it after surgery.  He told me that it would not be a problem and they will just monitor things to determine if an adjustment in the dosage is needed.  He explained that everyone will absorb it differently and they can't tell ahead of time how it will be affected by the surgery.  He said that it may mean that I have to go away from the long acting form that I take once daily to one that is taken more often so that I can absorb more of it.  Apparently the surgery (RNY) can decrease the amount that you absorb to the point that changes are needed.  You shouldn't have a problem after surgery but keep a close eye on the symptoms that you had and let your doc know so that things can be adjusted as needed. Good luck to you, Jayna
healthbound
on 9/19/11 9:36 am - BC, Canada
Thanks guys.

I saw Nooshin today and she suggested I talk to a doctor.  Different things get absorbed at different points throughout our digestive system, so I need to look into it further to see if I can find out whether it's absorbed in the stomach or intestines etc.

But it does sound like I may need to move from the extended release to the regular medication.  I'll keep ya posted.

Most Active