3rd Step on my WL Journey !

Melody Deutsch
on 4/28/11 1:38 am - CA
   Just got my appt. for the Psychologist, on
May 6th at 8:00 am, so cool.  Now just have to get the 50 pounds moving off, going into the weight clinic in May for  a weigh in. Wish me some luck, this is the slow part of this Journey, but I'm positive and in good spirits, best to all here on OH and God Bless.
Melody

shantele7824
on 4/28/11 1:58 am - SAN PABLO, CA
good luck what are you doing to get the weight off or you don't know yet, what ever you do good luck!!!
First Meeting with Surgeon:2/10/2011  weight was 460
Surgery Date:5/03/2011  Weight was 428
Revsion To RNY 06/26/2012 Weight 

Melody Deutsch
on 4/28/11 2:23 am - CA
  Well the weight clinic have me a diet of sorts, 
            Protein Powder morning, low cal meal at Noon, and
              another Protein Powder at dinner. But my body is
            hard to turn loss of this weight of mine. I'm doing a
          5 small meal diet, works better for me.
           6:00 am....Protein Powder 6 oz.Chocolate
          9:00 am......1/2 Fugi apple
         12:00 noon....4 oz. ground turkey, 1/2 cup Broc.steamed
         3:00 pm....1/3 cup almonds
        6:00 pm......Protein Powder 6 oz. chocolate
          I"m not hungry eating this way, and evenually will beable
         to go to the liquid diet before surgery, when ever I get
         this  50 lbs., off. Hope all is well with you, been reading
         blogs on there, your doing great lossing the 30 lbs,
           Congrats.!   Thanks for talking to me, nice to have some
          one to talk too.  God Bless  .........Melody

larra
on 4/29/11 12:29 am - bay area, CA
Melody, if you are trying to lose that weight to fulfill an insurance requirement, please know that you can file a grievance and get around this. Your insurer will deny your grievance, but the DMHC (dept of managed health care) will side with you on external appeal. Here is a link to the information on this subject by the DMHC:

http://www.dmhc.ca.gov/aboutTheDMHC/org/boards/cap/Bariatric REV.pdf

There is no evidence that pre-op mandatory weight loss leads to improved results. In reality, it's a barrier to medically necessary care. It saves money for the insurer but is of no benefit to you. True, your care may cost more at some future date, but that could well be the problem of some other insurer by that time. Almost all health insurers are for profit, and the profit they are looking at this this quarter, not 5 years from now.
     This requirement is esp hard to meet for someone who has already dieted many times and has a broken metabolism, and for people who have limited ability to exercise.
     Also, given your high bmi, I would recommend that you learn about the DS (duodenal switch), the wls with the highest percentage excess weight loss and best maintainence of that weight loss. It works well for anyone who qualifies for wls, but is esp useful for people with higher bmi's. Come on over to the DS forum and learn more about it, and/or read about it at dsfacts.com. Or you can shoot me a pm and I will be glad to tell you more about it. I had the DS 5 years ago and I'm very happy with the results, both for weight loss and for quality of life.
    Best of luck with whatever you do.

Larra
Melody Deutsch
on 5/2/11 11:22 am - CA
thank you both and ty Larra for the information, will come check out the DS Forum.  the two doctors who perform this surgery in Modesto, Ca., mainly do the Gastric Bypass and Lapband., I have asked about the Sleeve but was pushed away from it, due to them not having
a big enough study on it.  ty again.    Melody

remembrtherain
on 5/2/11 4:29 am - San Francisco, CA
I wish you so much luck on your journey! Please keep ups updated and keep in touch, it's always nice to hear other people's stories.
Most Active