Weight loss

tjmgray
on 8/16/11 4:51 am - CA
RNY on 03/20/12
Ok I had my first consult yesterday and was wondering if anyone can answer a question. The Dr. said I would probably get down to 185 to 215 from what I am now 299, which sounded like a lot but when I checked I would still be obese according to the BMI calculator. I know it is a great improvement but I am sick of being called obese. I am just nervous and want to make sure it will be worth it in the long run. Also anyone out there have the surgery at age 60????  Any help is greatly appreciated.
Dave Chambers
on 8/16/11 4:56 am - Mira Loma, CA

Which surgery?  I had RNY 2 months before I turned 60. Started out at 365 pre op, got down to 337 on preop diet, and am 200 lbs. today, 5+ years later.  Health issues will likely improve with wt loss.  That may be more important that 115 pound wt loss.  Your surgeon is likely taking into considerations your personal history, body type, etc. with his estimate.  I'd highly recommend attending support group meetings prior to surgery. You'll learn a lot of tips to help you through challenges as a new post op.  Good luck. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

tjmgray
on 8/16/11 5:37 am - CA
RNY on 03/20/12
Thanks so much yes I am attending a meeting this week, I turn 60 next month and it is the RNY he has recommended. I do have a lot of issues that the surgery will definely improve so glad to hear from someone around my age when they had it thanks again.
Dave Chambers
on 8/16/11 7:13 am - Mira Loma, CA
There are several post ops in my support groups who are older than I am. My surgeon used to have an age limit of 60 years to qualify for surgery. He has now upped it to 65. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

larra
on 8/17/11 12:59 am - bay area, CA

Different people are satisfied with different levels of results with wls. In the world of bariatric surgery, anyone who loses 50% of more of these excess weight is considered a "success". For some people, the improvement in health and quality of life is enough for them to be satisfied with still being obese or even still MO, depending on where they started and how well they did. For others, remaining obese is not acceptable to them. 
    And of course, there are some people who do better than expected, and others who do worse.
     If you are seriously concerned about getting to a normal weight, take a look at the duodenal switch (DS). The surgeon you saw, whoever he or she may be, doesn't do it, and therefore didn't recommend it. However, there are surgeons in San Francisco who do this operation. The DS has the highest percentage of excess weight loss and, even more importantly, maintainence of that weight loss, of any presently available wls. It also has the best rate of resolution of almost all comorbidities, including type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and sleep apnea.
     I totally understand how you feel about getting to a normal weight, as I felt exactly the same way before my surgery, and was given very similar information by the RNY surgeon that I saw. When I combined that with the potential side effects of RNY (dumping, food getting stuck, can't take NSAIDs, can't drink with meals, big list of foods you are never supposed to eat again ever), AND the failure rate of 30% quoted to me by the surgeon, I could not bring myself to have RNY.
     You may feel differently, and certainly there are people like Dave who has been very successful and satisfied with RNY. And I totally agree with him about going to support groups. But I think your concern about the likely results with RNY are well founded and it would be in your best interest to learn more about ALL the available options before having a surgery that may leave you unsatisfied.
     I will also send you a pm with info about DS support group meetings - I was just about to post about our meeting tonight when I saw your post.

Larra

tjmgray
on 8/17/11 2:39 am - CA
RNY on 03/20/12
Larra thank you so much for the information. I am attending a meeting tomorrow so I hope I learn more about the whole process.
larra
on 8/17/11 4:23 am - bay area, CA
That's great!
     If possible, see how the people furthest out are doing. Almost everyone does well at first, it's the long haul that really matters.

Larra

Most Active