Need some help please

Kaycee_21
on 9/19/14 3:18 am - Visalia , CA

Hi everyone. My name is Casey and I'm 27 years old with a BMI of 62.8. I live in Visalia, Ca near Fresno and Bakersfield. I've finally come to the realization that I need help. I recently was approved for

Medi-Cal insurance so now I'm really looking into everything about gastric bypass. I just had some questions.

Does it matter if I choose health net or blue cross?

Did Medi-Cal cover your gastric bypass?

Who was your surgeon and there location? Would you recommend them? 

Any extra pointers for starting this process?

I'm terrified that I'm going to get denied and I'm just gonna die. I have so much life to live and I'm ready to finally get help that I've needed for awhile. Thank you all for the encouragement and support !

larra
on 9/20/14 8:37 am - bay area, CA

Hi, Kaycee!

Have you researched the DS (duodenal switch)??  Given your bmi (no insult, just sayin') the DS would be your best possible choice, as it has the best statistics of any bariatric surgery for percentage excess weight loss, for maintenance of that weight loss, and also for permanent resolution of almost all comorbidities. Weigh regain is a major problem with gastric bypass that is not discussed enough. You can find a lot of good general info about the DS at dsfacts.

That didn't answer your insurance question, did it. If at all possible, see if you can get your hands on the Evidence of Coverage for the companies that you are considering and read the portions about coverage for bariatric surgery for yourself. Don't trust someone who happens to answer the phone at these companies - remember, no one cares more about this than you. I do know for sure of at least one person who get the DS covered through Medi-Cal. I can also tell you that from your location, the closest DS surgeon would be Dr. Keshishian, who operates in Delano and Glendale and is one of the best DS surgeons around. I don't know whether or not he accepts Medi-Cal, though he definitely accepts Medicare. Another possible resource would be Dr. Coates in Modesto, though he has begun doing the DS fairly recently. Again, I don't know what insurance he accepts.

I will also send you a pm.

Larra

Luvmygs
on 9/23/14 1:09 am
VSG on 12/04/14

Hi Casey! Welcome to OH. I was you several months ago and I've done ALOT of researching and reading on WLS. I really thought the RNY would be for me but the more I researched and after talking to my surgeon I was approved for the SLEEVE. I'm not familiar with Medi-Cal, I have Blue Cross. Their criteria was having a BMI of 36 or over, between the age of 20-65+ years, no substance abuse, psychoses, or uncontrolled depression, and motivation to change life permanently. We all feel the same as you, wanting to live a healthier life. Don't give up on this journey, it will happen for you too.

Most Active