Revision Surgeons in CT?

reenieb
on 11/29/10 3:53 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Lisa, this is so great, thank you! I have known Dr. Aranow for 7-plus years - he asked me to testify in front of state legislators to appeal for continued health insurance for WL surgery and I was happy and honored to do so. I have always held him in the highest regard - but he did not save my life, I did that. He was however the catalyst. When I saw him last year and explained what was going on - and I am telling you I am tortured with this - he said intially that I was doing fine, still a resounding success at 160 having lost from 360. I told him it wasn't my weight I was so concerned with, it was the painful, excrutiating hunger I am constantly feeling, before or after eating. He said he thought it was all in my head and then told me to do something that would prove my pouch was "fine" - he asked me to down two full 8 oz. glasses of water in quick succession. He guaranteed it would be uncomfortable for me to do so. I did exactly as he asked, and felt no discomfort whatsoever. None. He was surprised. Said we should follow up with an endoscopy, which I have not done - went for the inital appointment but did not appreciate the Middlesex referral, so I want to go to someone else... after reading your post, I will definitely make another appointment with Dr. A., but I have spoken with Lois who assures me that Dr. A. does NOT perform any revisions of any kind. What do you mean about your friend - is he doing her revision, or is he referring her to someone else? If the latter, to whom? Thanks so much, your post is exactly what I was hoping for in response to my own! Best, Maureen
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
LMCLILLY
on 11/30/10 1:52 am - Central, CT
So- sounds like you need to pick up the ball and run with it!!  I'm glad you have a path to follow and some positive action to take.  I know doing things at Middlesex is a pain, but sometimes it's better to just do it.  They know what he wants and are much quicker at getting things done for him.  
Not to give away personal info- but he's referring this person to someone who does a procedure that's new and might help for her specific type of problem. The failure is borderline and not something that can or should really be fixed with a full revision- though the person has not maintained a normal weight.  

Honestly, Lois often says things that I feel she has no business saying and making broad statements that just don't ring true.  I say this after many years experience.  I can't tell you how many 'cant',  'won't',  'nopes'  I've heard from her but have been contradicted by Dr A.  

He's the boss, not her.  (The first day I met personally w/Dr. Aranow, he told me he was my surgeon for the rest of my life and that I MUST come to him.  Period. I took him at his word.  I EXPECT him to stand by that.  If he can't, then I expect him to put me in the best possible hands.)

Will he take another surgeon's patient and do a revision? I seriously doubt it.  Will he address a physical failure or malfunction of his own surgery- you better bet your life on it.  If your failure is such that he personally does not have the technique to fix your issue- he WILL refer you to someone who can.       

At 160-ish your surgery has not 'failed' on paper (or on the scale) but you should NOT have to suffer just because you starve yourself to maintain a normal weight.  I suppose the 'head hunger' is the easy explanation.  But, that's not the end of the story.  

Go and speak with the man again.  And bring your 'ammo' as I outlined.  (and IGNORE Lois while you're there- in fact, make it a practice never to ask her anything, if at all possible.) 

I know this is emotional for you, but take the emotion out if you can and advocate for yourself.    Dr. A will respond.  I know it.  He's proved that to be true to me over and over.

About a meeting in Middlesex- I actually live in NYC now!!  So, I am rarely in the area.
 I'm sorry  :-(

Keep me updated- ok?

Best,

Lisa C

From CT

reenieb
on 11/30/10 2:28 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Thanks so much. This is not head hunger, I know the difference! And yes, it is the first explanation that people want to believe because it's difficult to accept that despite what we go through the lose the weight and get healthy, this surgery can and does fail. Is this the case with me? I don't know yet. An endoscopy will determine that. But I certainly know the difference between head/emotional hunger and debilitating, painful physical hunger. I will keep you posted, I thank you so much for your responses to my post. By the way, I get into the city frequently so we'll have to meet! Send me an email offline and we'll exchange contact info. [email protected]
You look great by the way - I am in awe of anyone who has been able to sustain a healthy weight 9 years after their surgery!!! Best, Maureen
Kathy W.
on 11/30/10 2:57 am - Enfield, CT
RNY on 01/15/08 with
I agree about Lois. She can drive me crazy sometimes. What was up with the endoscopy appt? I went to the practice that is in the same complex as Dr. A. and hated them. I ended up driving to Old Lyme to see a doctor that I love. He is great.

I shall now be know as Hagatha: Queen of the queens.

Baby 7-09

Xavier Elliott born 10-5-10

reenieb
on 11/30/10 3:14 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Yep, same experience. For me, I went to the initial appointment with the Middlesex endoscopy group (referred to by Dr. Aranow) and - well, let me put it this way... I'm old enough to know to trust my gut and my gut told me not to trust them! Kathy, email me with your Old Lyme referral - maybe I can get in there. maureen
reenieb
on 11/30/10 3:15 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
And for the record, guys, I like Lois alot! She's paid to be a Gate Keeper and she does the job very well; but she has a heart of gold...
Kathy W.
on 11/30/10 3:25 am - Enfield, CT
RNY on 01/15/08 with
 I forget his name but I was given his name from Dr. A. I think it was Zimmerman but don't hold me to it.

Baby 7-09

Kathy W.
on 11/30/10 3:30 am - Enfield, CT
RNY on 01/15/08 with
I just did a search for him on the Middlesex website and didn't find him. I would call Dr. A and tell them you didn't like the ones he sent you too and ask for someone else.

Baby 7-09

reenieb
on 11/30/10 4:21 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
I googled him, found him easily - Zimmerman in Old Saybrook. I am all over this, thanks! Maureen
Kathy W.
on 11/30/10 4:34 am - Enfield, CT
RNY on 01/15/08 with
You're welcome. Just go get this fixed. You have worked too hard to not get this figured out.

Baby 7-09

Most Active
Recent Topics