Revision Surgeons in CT?

reenieb
on 11/19/10 5:11 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Hi all, I haven't been on in quite a while. Struggling with my demons and wondering if any of our bariatric surgeons perform any type of revision surgery for people like me dealing with the runaway train that is regain??? I had gastric bypass in 2004 with Dr. Aranow; the short of it is that I am constantly and painfully hungry; no matter what I eat, the hunger does not subside. I have done all the right things for these past nearly 7 years and continue to do so - exercise, eat healthily, drink my water, take my supplements - and I am gaining and miserable and tortured by this hunger. I have tried to talk to Dr. Aranow but he dismissed me. I like him a lot but he does not want to hear about my struggles. Soooo - anyone else in the same boat? Any ideas for a different surgeon to potentially do a revision? I really believe my pouch and stoma are very dilated. Thanks everyone. Help please! Maureen
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
Bette B.
on 11/21/10 4:22 am
IMHO? Tell Aranow to sit his ass down and damned well LISTEN to your problems and issues. You've given him enough money over the years that he OWES you that much respect.

As for the revision, tell me what you're thinking about having done and I'll see if I know anyone who's had that revision.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

reenieb
on 11/22/10 3:34 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Hi Bette! Thanks for your response. I think it's better to focus my energy on finding a CT-based surgeon who understands the issues and is willing to help. I am pretty certain my pouch is extended and my stoma is sifficiently dilated so that everything is just passing through - the only thing I'm absorbing is calories. Dunno what to do in terms of options; don't want to be banded, although I know you've had tremendous success. Don't want to do a DS; don't believe any of the endoscopic options work at all; leaves me thinking the best option is to 'repair' the pouch/stoma, try to find someone to go in there and make it all small and tight again. Did I mention I'm tortured with this? It's really awful... Maureen
reenieb
on 11/30/10 2:28 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Ok Bette, my dinasour image is rearing its ugly head - what does IMHO mean???
HealthierTimesAhead
on 11/23/10 12:52 pm
RNY on 12/20/10 with
reenieb
on 11/24/10 8:36 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Please don't suggest that I was negative about Dr. Aranow, who is surgeon to many thousands of people, myself included. Everything I said was neutral, not at all negative. Factual. Check in with me in 7 years post-surgery, ok? Do yourself a favor and do your research now about many years post-gastric bypass. Fact: physical changes occur to the pouch, stoma, and the entire re-routing of the gastrointestinal tract. At around 3 years post-op the body begins to adapt to the new "plumbing" so as to ensure adequate nutrition.  Fact: the pouch will stretch and the stoma will dilate, there is no preventing this - unless you continue to eat as a newborn baby with an egg for a stomache. I was and remain one of Dr. Aranow's most successful patients and he will be the first to tell you so. I went from 360 lbs. to my lowest at 140 and now I am maintaining at 165 - but it is torture because of the unabating hunger due to the physiological changes in my 7-year post-op body. Fact: I am consuming no more than 1,000 calories on any given day, I work out hard 4-5 times a week, I am absolutely vigilent about my vitamins and water. Your presumptuous post, assuming that I need a therapist or "some other kind of medical professional" is insulting and completely way off base. So like I said, Terry, do check in with us in 7 years. Until then, I advise you try to learn a little more about people before you make public posts about your "facts". Good luck to you with your surgery, I mean that sincerely. Maureen
dragonfly2005
on 11/24/10 5:42 am - CT
RNY on 01/24/11 with
I hear you!!!!!! I had surgery in 2005 and had a pretty easy time of it BUT I have been creeping up the scale.  I seem to weigh more and more everytime I get on it.  I am hungry too but unlike you I don't do all I can.  I eat way too much and don't focus on protein and veggies as much as I should.  I feel like I am back on the diet train that is running in the wrong direction.  The more I think about dieting the hungrier I am and the worse I do.  This is one reason way I joined this site again becaus I am looking for support and help.  I don't want to be fat again but still like to eat.  Good luck and let me know what works for you.
reenieb
on 11/26/10 9:47 pm
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Hi there, you make a really important point about gastric bypass surgery; initially the weight just melts off and so we all have a 'pretty easy time of it' in the beginning - I'd say for the first 18 months or so, right? Our bodies are literally starving the weight off. But the body is so resiliant and adaptive with the single motivation to 'stay alive' - so all that has been done internally will find a way to be 'undone' in order to survive. Our surgeons do not tell us this; our surgeons do not talk about 5 years post op and what will be going on for us physiologically - only to suggest, "eat like you're on the South Beach Diet and you'll be fine." This is absolutely not factual. Do they talk about the severe hypoglycemia that can get so bad that some people pass out, or go into convulsions? Do they talk about the restrictive aspect of the surgery will lessen to the extent that you have to DIET in order to be moderately successful in keeping the weight off? Initially, it is so easy - hunger is a thing of the past, the thought of eating is so unappealing. But the hunger absolutely returns and for the person who has spent most of his or her life as morbidly obese or super morbidly obese, the genetic factor has never gone away - only gone to sleep for a while. And when that demon awakens ... well, the surgeons just don't go there, do they? Have you talked to Dr. Aranow about what's going on for you? If you feel more comfortable talking off line, I'm here - I really get where you're at and what you're feeling - maybe we can help each other. What's your name? Take good care, you're in my thoughts. Maureen
HealthierTimesAhead
on 11/24/10 9:12 am
RNY on 12/20/10 with
Sorry I tried to help you.  I can see by your less than nice response to me, it was not appreciated.  Such is life.
LMCLILLY
on 11/29/10 1:41 am - Central, CT
Hey Maureen-

I'm so sorry to hear about your problems.  I would like to suggest though that you CONTINUE pressing Dr. A.  You're right, sometimes he thinks he knows what's right and is too caught up in that to listen.  He's a busy man, who knows and has seen a LOT.  BUT, that doesn't mean he's right all of the time. He may have jumped to a judgement without all of the facts.

Give him your food logs, log your exercise, log your water loading and fluid intake, write down your symproms when you feel them and any other problems you're having.  Tell him about what you're doing to deal with this psychologically and physically as well (seeing a nut?  attending support?  seeing a psy?) Make it concrete for him.  Don't just say- I'm constantly hungry- show him, describe it, tell him how it feels and when.  I guarantee you 'hungry' to me means and feels completely different than it does to you or to him.   

The reason I say this is because HE is your best bet for a revision, if that's what's called for.  Most surgeons in the state are hesitant to take on another surgeon's patient (read: another surgeon's problem).  That's just the annoying truth.  Dr. A WILL do a revision or refer you to someone who does what you need done if you have a failure that needs addressing. 

I know someone who has has regain and her surgery has failed to an extent...he may not have been on board at first- he didn't really address her concerns at all and kept blowing them off in a way...but with some real persistence, and dillegence on the part of the patient (some described above), he diagnosed her failure through tests and is now and is assisting the person in getting the revision she needs.

So, thats my .02...

If it's helpful, great.  If not, I'm sorry I couldn't help!  Good luck to you. 

Best,

Lisa C

From CT

Most Active
Recent Topics