is there a post op driving restriction?

newyorkbitch
on 7/9/11 11:12 am
But IF you have an accident and IF you are checked for the presence of drugs in your system...you would be in major,  major trouble.  Do not drive while on narcotics. Do not.  It is illegal for a reason.

nightowl
on 7/9/11 1:40 pm - Topeka, KS

I think my case is one of the longest that I know of from this board: I was on narcotic pain meds from this surgery for around 7 weeks, if I recall correctly.  I had a complication that prolonged it.  I had an infection in the incision where most of my stomach was pulled out, and it had to be repacked with guaze daily, and was painful.  But, even aside from the complication, it appears that my pain tolerance is below average.  It seems like I need stronger doses, more often, and for a longer duration than average.  I had to arrange rides, walk, or stay home.  The rule against driving while on the meds sucked, but was preferable to the pain to me.  If I come off as a druggie, perhaps I should clarify that I did a slow taper off of it and was back to being narcotic-free as usual.

dleblanc1968
on 7/10/11 5:30 am - Lake Arthur , LA

I went to my 7 day check up and my dr said once i was off any pain medication for 24 hours, i was free to drive.    I still havent driven and I've been out 3 times with  a driver. I am still concerned about getting in a wreck and my tummy  is not completely healed. I'm generally not a worrier, but i'd sure hate to get in a wreck with a partially healed stomach and end up back in a hospital... I am content at home with an occassional outing. Take care of yourself.  Is it really that important to risk this awesome step you've made. I had to make up my mind to let others take care of me for once. I'm always the one tending to everyone else.   RELAX and take the time you deserve for recovery!  Good Luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 625 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 985 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 335 views