what was Day 1 like?

dustydeer
on 11/30/11 8:47 pm, edited 11/30/11 8:48 pm
Ugh...it feels like a drugged hell. But, it's manageable. It was worth it.

I had an open hysterectomy at 27 and this was nothing like it, even though it was lap. The reason is not the pain but the fact that my stomach and insides were healing and I wasn't prepared for it. There is no way to prepare for it because we don't have a point of reference.I had a bit too much blood thinner, which in turn caused my nose to bleed, drip down my throat and I was gagging on it/ retching and kept being told to stop because I was going to bust my stitches in my stomach. I also have several allergies to anti-nausea meds, so it was a battle.

So there you have it. I didn't sugar coat my own experience, but I have no regrets. It got a little better, every single day thereafter.

5'1 HW 298 CW 118

"Making America skinny, one slap atta time!" -Slap Chop Dude

Frankie
on 11/30/11 11:27 pm - NY

Day 1, I barely remember.  My surgery ending late in the evening and I slept like a baby, pain medication rocked!  Day 2, oh well different story.  Now I feel great!  Once you get past the first few days you will be fine.

Frankie

sandyv63
on 12/1/11 12:00 am - Naples, FL
I'm post op three weeks today and I have to say. my experience is different than what I'm reading here. Sure, I felt like I wa**** by a bus but this is to be expected. I remember feeling very relieved once I woke up in recovery because it was over and I knew I just changed my life forever. I wasn't in pain but Morphine will do that to you. I was a bleeder (jeez, who wouldn't be with all that Heparin they pump into you) and I do remember the nurse getting pissed about something having to do with me bleeding so badly at first but I didn't care (again, Morphine will do that.) I wasn't bleeding to death and didn't need a transfusion or anything like that.

I was blessed to have a catheter so no constant trips to the bathroom. I sure missed it when they removed it.  My surgeon did not like my urine output so I had 2 bags hanging to hydrate me. That's a lot of fluids, let me tell you. All I wanted to do was sleep that first day (that first week...) but sleep and hospitals are mutually exclusive, apparently. They were in there every two hours fussing over me. At some point they will have the nerve to come get you for a walk. Don't get too upset if all you can do is a few feet. They won't push you. But they will be back in 4 hours to make you do it again and you will be amazed at how much progress you can make in those 4 hours.

It got better after that. I did not have the difficult experience that so many others have posted about and my surgeon tells me my recovery is more typical. I suppose it  is really a roll of the dice and your current state of health will determine how you do but you can do things pre op that will help give you a smoother recovery.  I have been taking vitamins for years so starting up this vitamin regime is not going to be much of a change for me. I also take probiotics, two of them as a matter of fact and I am convinced this is why my gut isn't as cranky as other recent post ops. I also started drinking protein shakes prior to surgery which is good because I am having a difficult time choking them down now. My biggest complaint thus far is my lack of enthusiasm for food. Eating is  a chore. I have not vomited once but the thought of eating can nauseate me a bit and I find this very uncomfortable. I can't wait for this phase to be over and truthfully, some days are better than others. I'd like to think it is getting better but then I have a day where just the thought of anything turns my stomach. This is stressful for me but I know it will pass so I just persevere.
  All the vets have moved to a site where there is no censorship and no biased, unfair moderation. If you want ACCURATE information, join us here:

http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi
(deactivated member)
on 12/1/11 1:16 am
My day one was a delcious drug induced haze. Day two was when I was up and walking, sipping and peeing on my own. I got plenty of rest but by day 4 I was doing laps around the nurses station so much it became a game of how many I can do on each shift--totally motivating.
* Gail R *
on 12/1/11 1:42 am - SF Bay Area, CA
My day one was good. I woke up happy to be alive and in my room. I was sensitive to the anesthesia and was pretty much "out" from 8AM to 4PM. Day two was another matter, It was painful to do any major movement but if I laid still it was OK. All would have gone really well if I hadn't been sensitive to all the pain meds offered. (They made me horribly nauseous) I was limited to two Tylenols every 6 hours! I did it and you can too. Yes, there was pain but tolerable when I looked at my goal. I would do it again in a heartbeat to get my health.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

(deactivated member)
on 12/1/11 1:57 am
Day 1-3 of my first WLS was hell. I was in ICU and in a LOT of pain.

Day 1 of my DS was better but still no picnic.  I had no catheter or NG or J tubes! Halleluia!
 Day 2, I was up showering and walking the halls. :)

I was in a private room and got a lot of rest. I had a private duty nurse that was a treasure.

If I had to do it once a year, I would.

Michele
Valerie G.
on 12/1/11 2:23 am, edited 12/1/11 2:23 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Nope. They wanted me walking hourly. The hospital is NO place to get any rest.
Other than that, they kept me stoned enough that I didn't really care what I was doing.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

linda1814
on 12/1/11 3:46 am
I was ok Day 1.  I remember immediately after being brought to my room, I was not allowed to lay down.  I was told that I had to walk before I would be allowed to lay down.  I walked one lap around the floor.  It was really odd... my insides felt like they were falling out of my belly.  But I felt an odd sense of pride because I knew that I made it through and if I finished that lap, I could do anything. 

I was warm in the hospital but luckily I brought a small fan.  

I should have pushed myself to drink more even day 1 but I didn't want it. That was my biggest regret and that was the reason why I was kept in the hospital an extra day ... to work on my fluid intake.  

I want to say that Day 2 was probably worse than Day 1.  The drugs were making me groggy and smells were starting to bother me.  My sister was with me since I traveled for my DS and she was wearing perfume that I also wear.  I made her leave because the smell was overpowering to me. I had no interest in my laptop or phone, etc and I thought that I would.  

If you feel too nauseous or that your pain level isn't being managed properly, don't be afraid to speak up.  Stay on top of your sipping because you will get behind VERY fast if you allow yourself to.  You are sipping ... not drinking, not gulping so you must work at it.  And I think that the walking is really important.  I really pushed mine ... since I was in SF, when I got released from the hospital, I went sight seeing since I had never been there.  The first day was tough walking those hills but I went steady.  I don't want to say that I pushed myself but I also didn't give myself a pass.  I even went to Sausalito and walked along the water.  Everything was SLOWLY done but I really think that walking helped me get out of the anethesia funk.

My Macronutrient Breakdown

Daily Average for the Last 30 Days

Like this widget? Get your own at ObesityHelp.com

Jody W.
on 12/1/11 4:20 am - Windsor, CT

Day 1... well it was kinda tough because I didn't know what to expect... I would say the first 4 days were the toughest because I was in the hospital... I was extremely allergic to the pain meds and had scratches all over my body because of it... and I didn't remember about the extreme burning sensation of the potassium drips... but when I got home I was feeling a little better each day from then...

Original LapBand Surgery - 07/26/06- DS Surgery - 08/16/2011
 HW/LW/SW/CW/GW
289/195/277.5/242.5/170

jodic1966
on 12/1/11 4:29 am
Day 1 was not a big deal but day 3 was awful. My veins are really skinny and deep so the IV kept failing so I got dehydrated. They ended up putting in a PICC line (which I highly recommend!) and things started getting better right away.

HW 406 SW 376 CW 211 Surgeon's GW 170ish My GW 150ish

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 998 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1181 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 470 views