Do You Feel Like Your Dieting w/DS?

MsBatt
on 6/3/12 9:19 am
I've not made protein ice cream, but I do make mine with Splenda and heavy cream. Yummy! Freezes faster, too.
lololo25
on 5/31/12 2:55 am
Valerie G.
on 5/31/12 9:07 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 I don't deny myself anything.  The trick is "earning" your treat.  I eat protein first, then veggies if applicable, then whatever I want with the last bit of space left.  Because I ate plenty ahead of the treat, I don't get myself into trouble so much.  With this method, I never feel like I'm dieting.  

Now for something that gives you absolute bliss - go for it.  If it's not blissful, then pass it by.  It probably doesn't matter much anyway.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

PattyL
on 5/31/12 9:16 am
 I don't think there are many people over the age of 20 or so who can truly eat as they please with no consequences.  It's not really all that different for us.  Sure, I still diet.  And I still wish I could eat as I please.  Just like everyone else.
JazzyOne9254
on 5/31/12 11:11 am

The unpleasant gastrointestinal issues with simple sugars/simple carbs is enough of a negative to keep me onthe staight and narrow!

I'm trying to figure out what I could have eaten to cause gas today.   All I've had is homemade chicken salad, made from canned chicken, real mayo and eggs. 

It could be the onions, although onions usually don't bother me, because I chop them up really fine, almost paper-thin.

I like the fact that *I* get to make the decision whether I want to put up with the side effects and indulge, not the surgery making what I want  an absolute "forbidden" food.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

buffalobillsfan
on 5/31/12 5:08 pm - CA

I do get what you're saying.  It's different though because I think of protein grams first.  Did I get enough, did I take my vites, and then timing any carbs for later in the day so they don't affect me at night.  I never dieted like that before.  The major difference is I never dieted as a "thin person".  I was always really overweight.  This feels more like maintenance.  I'll take it any day over the Weigh****chers days! 

WeeSteppn
on 5/31/12 11:01 pm
 For sure! I'm most certainly not about WW, Atkins, etc. I don't want to be dieting in a formal sort of way. If I could do that I would have been successful pre surgery. I need to simply refocus is all. As you all say, protein 1st, etc. then if I have room sure, go ahead. Now, I eat what looks good and guess what looks good?! :) I will reprioritize and see how things go. I like that way though as you've all outlined because it gives me what I need and also a little bit of what I like so it's a win-win. Now sticking to it. ;-)

~Mandy~

Lap Band - Feb 28, 2007      Revised to DS Dec 1, 2009
5' 5" - HW 240, SW 200, CW 132, GW 125

Elia-B
on 6/1/12 12:35 am
First, don't beat yourself up.  Sounds like there's something going on with your body.  Time to be a detective and try to identify it.

Sugar cravings - sugar cravings can be emotionally triggered or they can be a symptom of a physiological need.  I have read and recognized it in myself, sugar cravings for me are sometimes are sign that I'm not getting in enough protein and/or water.  Seriously, being low in your protein can cause you to crave sugar.  I'd recommend upping yor protein intake by 50 grams (whatever it is) for about a week and see if you notice a change in your cravings. 

Next, for whatever reason, exercise helps to curb my cravings - possibly because it provides an outlet for stresses and aids my hormone balance, which can effect cravings....  And, I don't even mean a lot of exercise.  Walking a mile a day (approx. 20 mins) can do wonders.

Be your own body sleuth... and stop beating yourself up.

ClairM13
on 6/5/12 2:34 am

I've wondered ever since my surgery as to WHY I crave sugary/ sweet things NOW. I never cared for them before and now I get strong cravings once and awhile. Thanks for the tip/info! more water and protein..easybreezy

off subject, does anyone know of the DS failing anyone? Gained the weight back? is that even possible?

WeeSteppn: I did feel like I was dieting at first. I completely understand what you mean. I kept reminding myself that the DS is just a tool, the rest is up to me. Eating protein constantly actually makes me feel so good that I get out and do more which is the start of a wonderful circle of weightloss and confidence. Congratulations on your surgery!! It's a wonderful journey.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 418 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 859 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 276 views