Batwingsman’s Posts

Batwingsman
on 8/12/08 2:03 pm
Topic: RE: Foot Swelling
Could it be possible you're in the early stages of developing lymphedema?  

OH has a LE forum where you might ask about this possibility, as well as consider locating and consulting with a medical professional in your area who is famliar with the condition ...  They may order a lymph scan be done of your feet to rule it out (no fun, as they stick a hypo between each of the toes to inject contrast medium - )  but it's the only way to definitely diagnosis the flow of lymph in that area early out ..  If you are developing LE, the earlier the treatment the better ...  and one of the worst things that can be done w. LE is to take diuretics like Lasix ..

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

Batwingsman
on 8/12/08 8:39 am, edited 8/12/08 8:39 am
Topic: RE: Happy 6 year Surgiversary to me!
Congrats, Stephanie ..  You have done superbly well with your DS ..  

Today is my 2nd surgiverary, and I hope I'm doing as well as you in another 4 years ..    

I'm curious ..  at 6 years out, have you been able to get "normal" health insurance, or do they still consider the DS a "pre-existing condition" thing?  

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

Batwingsman
on 8/12/08 1:43 am
Topic: RE: Crushing Iron Supps (Anemia)
My latest blood tests (my 2 year surgiversary is today, btw) .. show I'm still somewhat anemic, low on hemoglobin and hemocrit still, atlhough my Ferratin is remaining O.K.) ..   

I take 2 Feosol OTC iron supps every a.m. w. Vit. C., but that has apparently not been enough.  My family doc's N.P. advises eating raisins, drinking iron-fortified orange drinks and switching to a liquid pediatric form of Feosol for quicker absorption. 

My pharmacist says he cannot find any such liquid form of Feosol, or any liquid OTC iron supplement, for that matter .   He suggested I crush my pills for quicker absorption instead ..   Does that make sense, or will it not make much of a difference? 

Batwingsman
on 8/11/08 5:27 pm
Topic: RE: Mac N Cheese Help
  Are you talking about "Rachel's Low Carb Mac & Cheese"?   Or, if not, give it a try if you'd like:

(from Lori B.'s profile):

Rachel's Lo Carb Mac N Cheese
7 days ago
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 (16 ounce) package Dreamfield's elbow macaroni
  • 9 tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup shredded Muenster cheese
  • 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
  • 1 1/2 cups heavy cream 
  • 8 ounces cubed processed cheese food
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 minutes or until al dente; drain well and return to cooking pot.
  2. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 4 tablespoons butter; stir into the macaroni. Transfer to a lightly greased deep 2 1/2 quart casserole dish.
  3. In a large bowl, combine the Muenster cheese, mild and sharp Cheddar cheeses, and Monterey Jack cheese; mix well.
  4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  5. Using the pot from step 2 melt 4 tablespoons butter, slowly add heavy cream stirring constantly, add cubed cheese food and 1/2 of shredded cheese mixture, stir until it has a smooth consistency (don't forget to taste liberally at this stage it is SOOOO yummy!)
  6. Add all but 1/2 cup of the remaining shredded cheese to the pasta mixing well and then pour your melted cheese over the pasta, mix well, spoon yourself out a small bowl.
  7. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese mixture and 1 tablespoon of butter.
  8. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until hot and bubbling around the edges; serve.
  9. Enjoy the small portion you spooned out while you wait for the cheese on top to melt

Batwingsman
on 8/11/08 12:44 pm
Topic: RE: Interesting Protein Malabsorption Question
 I was talking to someone about how we DSers absorb only 20% of our fats (and, unfortunately, protein) and that this is why we can eat "high fat" w/o any problems   ..  however, we can't take pills which contain an oil suspension for that reason as well ..  

They then brought up an interesting question that I never thought about before:    if we eat, for example, say a hamburger which has been fried in grease, shortening, etc. then does the grease prevent us from absorbing even the full 20% of the protein in it?  By way of contrast, if we ate a much less greasy burger, such as a flame-broiled one, would we then absorb more of the protein in that burger, proportionately?     
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1082 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1257 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 512 views