New to FL - looking for a Bariatric Doc / Support Group in Delray / Boca / Boynton area?

adam_
on 2/1/11 3:04 am - Boynton Beach, FL
Moving to Florida in the very near future and am looking for some guidance on finding a Bariatric Surgeon who might be willing to accept my wife and I (post-op) for follow ups.  Also would be interested in some recommendations for Support Groups...

We will be in Palm Beach County ( Delray Beach / Boca Raton / Boynton Beach area)

Thanks!

-Adam - 6'6" - From 450 lbs to GOAL in 9 months...
Phase 1: Completed 10/2008.
Phase 2: Weightlifting - Goal: Add 40 lbs of muscle. Completed 2/15/2011.
Phas 3: Cut to 10% body fat.
MY STORY:  imthebiggestloser.blogspot.com/

(deactivated member)
on 2/1/11 9:53 pm - FL
I wish you guys lived closer to Tampa. Me and Steve have to make plans to meet up with you guys. Nan is my second Mom. You guys rock! We have our own support group in Tampa.

So when do you move to Tampa?

Hugs Kristen
Susan G.
on 2/3/11 1:09 am - Boynton Beach, FL
If you find any good Dr's. let me know  I'm moving down there also.  Maybe we could meet after we botrh get settles.

Susan G.
garnet408
on 2/3/11 8:35 pm - Tampa , FL
Hi  !!!!
Wish u were coming over to our side in Tampa...But anywhere in Florida is a Great choice!!!!
 I have a Great doctor  At Tampa general Hospital   ...  Dr Murr
and 2 good support groups...Tampa General Hospital Group and Bay Area Weight Loss ...
I see we have a friend in common...know Nan  for over 30 years....
Good luck to u on your move...
anna

Anna

LisaA11
on 6/12/11 6:56 am

I am in a similar situation. I moved to the Boca/ Delray area not quite 2 years ago. After asking people on here and seeing that Dr. Wizman is a center of Excellance I chose him for both me and my husband for our fills.He charges $500 for a program fee, not sure what for they really dont have a program, I think they have a support group but I think its just chairs set up in one of the exam rooms for people to meet in I find more support on here.   Sorry to say I should have done more research. I am currently here in NJ waiting for surgery from my orignal surgeon for a port replacement. Our original surgeon is currently cheif of Bariatric Surgery in 3 major hospitals and always did our fills under fluro, had an amazing program and team at his offices. If you had any issue he ushered you right in to sit with the dietician etc. Dr. Wizman has either himself or his assitants do fills in his office as they belief that it is too expensive to do fills under fluro, personally I think he just doesnt want to be bothered.(The one time I insisted on fluro, reason following, I waited 2 hrs for him to show.) Being in his usual rush, being behind schedule, I insisted always that he do my fills and not an assistant so I wouldnt have a problem with my very picky band and I always asked to have it done under fluro for which I was always told it wasnt necessary. Needless to say I put on 30 lbs under his care (for which his assistant tells me its my fault as I should be there every 6 weeks for a fill) Under my old surgeon he always told you to get to know your band/ restriction and you will know when it is time for a fill with that I lost 70 lbs.  Well back to Dr. Wizman and him being in a rush  he went to do my fill in the office and stuck the needle in wrong (I knew it right away from the burning that lasted from that moment for an entire week) and needless to say put a hole in the tubing of my port. It took me going back 3x in one month of me telling him there was a problem (one of those times I insisted he do it under fluro and he still said there was no problem) where he would fill the band up to 3 and it would be back to 1 in less than 3 days. Before he would admit well maybe there might be a hole but maybe you just need a new port from all the times you were stuck. So just go home we will call you to set up a surgery date. 3 weeks later his assitant Diane called to ask if I know how much I was filled because he never wrote it in my chart. when I told her she was supposed to call me 3 weeks prior to set up a surgery date, her reply was she didnt know anything about it and if I indeed have a hole in my port I would be the first in that practice that wouldve happened to. That leads me to where I am now, coming back to NJ to see my surgeon who immediately set up surgery for 2 weeks, and looking for a new surgeon in FL for fills. I have seen several people on here mention the Cleveland Clinic in Weston which is about 45 min/1 hr away but if the Dr is good it will be worth the trip I always drove an hour in NJ to my surgeon. Also I found a practice in Hollywood Thomas Bass and Brett Cohen that I was going to look into also when I got back to FL. Let me know who you decide on and after i do some more research I will get back to you also. Good luck on your move.

My wish for you is that this life becomes all that you want it to. Your dreams stay big, your worries stay small, you never need to carry more than you can hold.
And while you're out there, gettin' where your gettin' to I hope you know somebody loves you and wants the same thing to, this is my wish.  -Rascal Flats

cayita63
on 8/19/19 6:31 pm - Ft Lauderdale, FL

same boat. I live in West Palm . Did you find another dr?

thanks

c

Kathy S.
on 2/9/11 2:05 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with
 Hello,

After some research we have found several surgeons in the area you are moving to.  I am so jealous as we live outside of Chicago.  Please take me with you 

1. Paul B. Wizman MD (Centers of Excellence) 
    Surgeries Performed:
    LGBP LB GB PED FOLL SG
    Margate FL USA
    (954) 969-1355 
    About: 9 miles

2. Miguel A. Lopez-Viego MD 
    Surgeries Performed:
    LGBP LB OGR FOLL PED
    Boynton Beach FL USA
    (561) 736-8200 
    About: 13 miles

3. Carlos Carrasquilla MD (Centers of Excellence) 
    Surgeries Performed:
    LGBP LB GBP FOLL REV SG
    Ft. Lauderdale FL USA
    (954) 594-1237 
    About: 15 miles

4. Paul S. Esposito MD (Centers of Excellence) 
    Surgeries Performed:
    LGBP LB GBP REV FOLL
    Ft. Lauderdale FL USA
    (954) 625-3576 
    About: 16 miles

5. Kenneth A. Larson MD (Centers of Excellence) 
    Surgeries Performed:
    LGBP LB GBP OGR REV FOLL
    Lake Worth FL USA
    (561) 649-0243 
    About: 17 miles

6. Ronald E. Moore Jr. MD 
    Surgeries Performed:
    LGBP GBP LB REV FOLL DGBP PED GB
    Plantation FL USA
    (954) 797-4220 
    About: 19 miles

7. Fernando E. Bayron MD (Centers of Excellence) 
    Surgeries Performed:
    LGBP GBP REV FOLL
    Plantation FL USA
    (954) 472-1322 
    About: 20 miles

8. Thomas L. Bass MD (Centers of Excellence) 
    Surgeries Performed:
    GBP LGBP LB FOLL REV DGBP GB
    Hollywood FL USA
    (954) 966-8559 
    About: 25 miles

9. Samuel Szomstein MD (Centers of Excellence) 
    Surgeries Performed:
    LGBP LB GBP DGBP GB PED FOLL REV SG
    Weston FL USA
    (954) 659-5239 

10. Emil Matei MD DO 
    Surgeries Performed:
    LGBP LB REV FOLL GBP SG
    Hollywood FL USA
    (954) 889-0218 
Some one will get back to you shortly with some support group information with these surgeons in mind.

If you need anything else, please let us know at [email protected]

Take care,
Kathy S
Member Services

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 287 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1329 views