Band Erosion in less than 2 months after placement :(

JulieATL
on 9/10/11 1:50 am - Lawrenceville, GA
Hey Everyone! 
                 I wanted to share this all with you because  this is is really rare. I fall way so into the 1% and then some! Ok My Doctor is Dr. Srinivasan at Emory. She has been GREAT! The whole team here has taken care of me. I had my band placed June 20th, 2011. Within 3 days I was admitted back into the hospital with full blown pneumonia and they had to drain 50cc's of fluid of my lung. I was so weak I was kept for 3 weeks and sent home with a home health nurse and physical therapist. I was discharged from them in August. Still complained of killer port pain and pain in the area of the surgery. When I went to the doc they did a barrium swallow and it was fine so she said it was just the port attaching to the muscle and cook hurt for 2 - 3 more months as it heals. All this time during that visit and the last 2 weeks nothing was staying down, no liquids, no solids no nothing. I felt so bad. I went to Gwinnett Medical Center and was kept over night for severe pain in chest/throat. They ruled out it was my heart because I have a cardiac history. THey sent me home in the morning. I went to my PCP and said look this is miserable this cant be right. She saw blood in the cup I was vomitting in and said my stomach was distended. She said she was sending me by ambulance to hospital. I had to go get my daughter from school, so I did and drove me to the hospital. After a week here we have answers. FIrst they did a CT and barium swallow and it showed the lap band was fine so we were thing the tumors in my thyroid gland. But Dr. Sharma wouldnt touch those till lap band was out. I just kept vomittineg like crazy. I said please look at my throat please. She agreed and did a EGD Thursday. It showed my esophagus has erosion, as well as clear as day you see my lap band sitting inside my stomach. It is more than 50% eroded into my stomach. Crazy huh so fast. This is really rare. But I wanted to share my story to let you know it can happen. I am now on lots of antibiotics and IVs going through a picc line. I am praying for healing. They will keep me several days after surgery too to make sure everything is working right. I worked two years to get this band for it to all go to **** in 2 months... Im totally bummed. I did loose about 40 pounds, but wow do I have so much more to go. She has mentioned getting me on optifast. This is going to be so hard. I pray firstmost I live through surgery cause of my heart issues. I put it in Gods hands and that he will work through Dr S to heal me. She is a great doctor. Hope you all enjoyed and realize erosion can happen at anytime... Dr S said it usually happens years later... arent I the lucky one.. 2 months after placement...    :(
LaShelle2
on 9/11/11 2:24 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA

Wow, I am so sorry to hear you've gone through all this. I hope you get better soon and don't have any more complications.

We will be praying for you.
carolkimbrough
on 9/11/11 10:26 pm
I AM SO SORRY TO HEAR THINGS WENT WRONG AND I HOPE AND PRAY GOD HEAL YOU AND THAT YOU CAN CONTINUE YOUR WEIGHT LOSS SUCCESSFULLY..TAKE CARE AND ALSO JUST KNOW IT MAYBE DELAYED BUT YOU ARE NOT DENIED..HAVE A GREAT DAY AND GET WELL SOON.
Most Active