DS docs in Georgia?

jspurple
on 12/26/11 7:56 am - fairburn, GA
VSG on 04/11/12

I originally started my journey researching RnY and I had not considered DS.  Now that I'm starting all over again, I would like to be fully informed.  Has anyone has DS surgery this year (2011) with any of the Georgia doctors? If so, who was your physician?  For those that chose physicians outside of Georgia, what made you decide to do so?

Even though I'm considering the surgery, I'm not too sure that I will be willing to travel out of state.  It would take alot of maneuvering with my children.

Any advice is welcomed.

curiouscat7
on 12/29/11 10:10 am
 check your private message box...
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com
walterswife
on 1/4/12 7:29 am
Michael Blaney, M.D. in Augusta

Dennis Smith, M.D. in Marietta

Dr. Maynard in Conyers (only does open procedures)

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

LaShelle2
on 1/7/12 12:26 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA

I would suggest attending Dr. Smith's Seminar. I would say he is the best in GA.

I had my DS with Dr Houston in Nashville. They have several GA patients and made the process very easy.  He has had several patients with major complications recently, so I would look more into that before I selected him. My DS was textbook perfect with absolutely no complications, but others have not been as lucky.

Dr. Voellinger is in Charlotte. He has a VERY thorough pre-op program and a pretty steep program fee.  I guess you get what you pay for. My only concern with him was the slow pace of the approval process. Also, you will need to travel up there for most of your pre-op testing. He won't accept psych, exercise, cardio clearances, etc from out of state.

Dr Sudan is in Raleigh Durahm NC.

Dr. Blaney in Augusta  is taking over Dr. Chasen's DS practice.  I am not sure if he has actually done any DS yet though.

You should ask for more info on the DS forum.

Good luck with your surgery. My DS was the best choice I have ever made!  I am so grateful I did not have a rny or lapband. I would not have been as successful with those procedures. I really admore the people that are able to self disciline and make theor rny and bands a success.

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

sassyjonz
on 1/10/12 11:12 am - Atlanta, GA
So sorry I am just now seeing this.  I had my DS with Dr. Maynard.  He is a very caring a terrific surgeon.  And although I had a complication a couple of days after my surgery, it had nothing to do with the DS and was not caused by my surgeon.  Dr. Maynard took swift action and treated the issue.  Despite the fact that it set back my recovery somewhat, I have been right as rain ever since and have no regrets.

That being said, I agree with LaShelle that Dr. Smith is probably the best DS surgeon in Georgia and possibly the southeast.  And if all things had been in place when I was getting the DS and I could have gotten him with my insurance, he would have been my first choice simply because he performs the DS lap and he pioneered the lap procedure and trains other surgeons in doing the DS including my surgeon, Dr. Maynard.

So that's my 2 cents and I hope that helps you.  Good luck on your decision.

Lia

Starting weight & height: 265/5' 8.5; Goal weight: 160; Current weight: 155

Most Active