ATL area RNYers...Looking for recommendations for my Dad (cross post from Main RNY...

Hillery82211
on 3/22/12 12:05 am - New Carrollton, MD
RNY on 08/22/11 with
*Cross-posted from the Main RNY board*

I  think I may have mentioned this a time or two, but my dad was/is a "failed" bandster.  He originally had his band implanted in 2004, but had it removed several years ago because it had prolapsed and corroded and was causing him way too many problems.  He was successful in getting the weight off with the band (he lost over 100 pounds) but since the band's removal, his weight has slowly creeped up in spite of exercising daily (he walks 5 miles daily at a pretty vigorous pace).  He has managed to keep about 60 of the 100 pounds off that he lost,but I'd estimate that he probably has about 80 pounds of EBW to lose to get to a "normal" BMI or as close to it as he could possibly get.

Complicating this is that he is a RAGING diabetic.  His blood sugars are very hard to control and I've watched his insulin dose increase steadily.  My parents are retired and every year because of his insulin, he falls into that dreaded donut hole and has to spend thousands of dollars on medicine which he cannot go without which really puts a stain on my parents fixed income.  I have to fight with him because he will skip doses to try and stretch his meds because he can't afford to get his insulin.  So I started "funneling" money to my mom who puts it in their joint account so that my dad will get his meds and his pride won't take the hit that his kid has to give him money... *sigh*.

Any who, last night I was talking to my dad and he expressed that he wished he had gotten RNY originally instead of the band because it really didn't help him at all.  I had been trying to figure out how to broach the topic with him anyway because I really think that RNY might help with his diabetes.  For me and my mom, his most pressing concern is the diabetes...if he loses weight then its an added bonus.  So I was happy that he came to this realization on his own because my mom had been pressuring me to talk to him about my surgery.  So we had a nice long conversation about a lot of things that ended with me offering to get some suggestions on doctors in the area that he may want to investigate.

So I'm looking for recommendations for surgeons and hospitals in the Atlanta area.  My parents are in the Conyers area but are willing to travel if there is a surgeon that gets great recommendations outside of the ATL area.  If you have a surgeon who you LOVE please send me his/her name and contact info.  If you are a revision from a band to RNY then please DEFINITELY send your info.  If you don't want to respond directly to this thread then feel free to send me a private message with the info.

My dad and I both thank you all for your help!
HW & SW: 363     Surgery date: 8/22/11    
MARIA F.
on 3/22/12 5:07 pm - Athens, GA

Steinburg's patients all love him. If I were revising here I think he is the one I would choose. I have the CRAP-BAND as well, and would love to revise! No insurance though. :-(

FormerlyFluffy.com

Nick E.
on 3/25/12 12:07 am - Duluth, GA
 I strongly recommend Dr Paul Macik near Northside hospital. He helped me on my journey when I finally made up my mind to get the Sleeve 18 months ago at 60.

curiouscat7
on 3/26/12 8:08 am
 I second Macik..... 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com
walterswife
on 3/26/12 5:38 pm
I "third" Steinberg and Rashid (his partner) is a great choice also.

I do not know how old your dad is, but he might also want to consider Dr. Dennis Smith in Marietta for a DS.

The band was the worst choice for him with diabetes anyhow as the stats are so much better for the DS and RNY.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

Isabelsjewelry
on 3/27/12 1:38 am
 Dr. Michael Williams did my RNY. He is located in Alpharetta. I'm 3 weeks post-op and I feel great!

RNY(3/8/2012)    
Most Active